+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uni-Pivot tonearms?

I'm Steve.

I have a Hadcock GH228 for my LP12, cart is V15 type III.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm James.

Your description of the Andy McNally Unipivot sounds similar to the presentation I get from my VPI 9T Unipivot. Lots of air, space and big soundstage.

Interestingly VPI sells both Unipivot and Gimbal bearing tonearms but I believe the Unipivots sound better but are not favoured by a lot of folk due to their wobbly nature!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Your description of the Andy McNally Unipivot sounds similar to the presentation I get from my VPI 9T Unipivot. Lots of air, space and big soundstage.

Interestingly VPI sells both Unipivot and Gimbal bearing tonearms but I believe the Unipivots sound better but are not favoured by a lot of folk due to their wobbly nature!
    They’re a bit scary at first, wobbling about and the fact there’s no real resistance when I lift it up except for vtf. I’ve put my VM-750 back on, definitely better with MM carts. I was going to buy another for my new TT project, but I’ll put my Audiomods V on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Brook.

I spotted that same on ebay last week & asked the seller some questions, but he hasn't got back to me yet. I specifically asked what range you could vary the effective mass as it isn't mentioned in the listing.
    I also thought that the idea of it being variable mass meant you don't have to faff about adding weight to the headshell or anywhere, is that thought incorrect?

I'm Mike.

That's a nice looking tonearm. I have a Thoren's TD203 turntable with their TP-82 unipivot arm. I like the sound of unipivot arms too. The're clear and detailed with nice PRaT. I don't find it wobbly, only slight movement that settles down as soon as it hits the groves.

I'm Alex.

I have made one using an oak pole, a ballpoint pen knib and a receptical, it is realy surprising how something that costs less than a fiver per unit to make sounds. It leaves the Pro-ject, Linn Basik and old Rega 250? for dead with a far more precise sound stage and far greater detail, all using the same set of cartridges.

I'm Steve.

I thought I’d add an update now I’ve had a bit of time with the Uni, it still has that open airy presentation, soundstage is huge. It definitely seems better with my MM cartridge, but also with my Benz Micro Glider SL it’s excellent with the variable mass weight up at the cartridge end(midway for the MM). It doesn’t get on with my Koetsu Black, not sure why??
    All in all an excellent tonearm, definitely a keeper.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex66 View Post
    I have made one using an oak pole, a ballpoint pen knib and a receptical, it is realy surprising how something that costs less than a fiver per unit to make sounds. It leaves the Pro-ject, Linn Basik and old Rega 250? for dead with a far more precise sound stage and far greater detail, all using the same set of cartridges.
    I used an oak drumstick and clock jewel with a sharp point. As good as they get
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I used an oak drumstick and clock jewel with a sharp point. As good as they get
    Brilliant!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12