+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Ystradgynlais

I'm Peter.

Cool Greetings from Ystradgynlais

Hi Guys,

Been lurking for many years & realised tonight that I registered 5-years ago I'm somewhat overdue to introduce myself.
    Brilliant site, often end up here after running Google searches for projects I'm working on.

Loved music and the magic kit that brings it alive since a nipper, and never bored of the fascination.

Particularly like vintage gear, but only if it can reasonably hold it's own against the new.
    Don't like the constant churn of shiny new kit just for the sake of it.

I'm an audio engineer by trade and prefer to "keep it real" if at all possible.
    Make my own interconnects with "honest" cable & connectors.
    Whilst I appreciate and use digital audio daily, prefer pure analogue whenever possible.

Have a mish mash of kit that definately needs thinning out, my listening space is temporary so my main kit is a lash up:

Lenco 88 (upgraded bearing) with a Carl plinth on Townsend Sink with Origin Live Silver/Supex 900, Ear 834 clone
    Sony ST-A6B tuner, i5 HTPC & Musical Fidelity V90 DAC
    Panasonic TXP60ZT65B
    Bryston BP25 pre / 4BST power
    Currently: Tannoy homebrews with K3808 (15" Dual Concentrics) & DIY boutique crossovers & two Rel Stadium subs.

I collect numerous Tannoy drivers and fettle passive crossovers for fun, although I have ability to drive them actively.
    Enjoy the challenge to pursue how far they can go. I have found the Dual Concentrics endlessly intrigueing in that they can sound absolutely different just by different Xover designs & subtle component changes.
    From my own experience and opinion, you can make them sound as quick and "modern" as you like.
    Probably ask for trouble as I'm a heritic - far more experienced in the ferrite magnet models.

Also collect 1/4 inch machines (Revox, Technics, Studer & Telefunken) at least half has to go.
    Have some amazing studio masters & production copiess to play.

Currently servicing my Technics SL1210 to go back into service with Mike New bearing, I prefer this to an LP12.
    Hoping to design & build some new cabinets for the Tannoys this year - still pontificating though.

Looking to meet new fettling friends, if you are near the Swansea Valley give me a shout.

Cheers Peter

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Peter.

Nice introduction.

Goodness, you have some very interesting kit there (I'm thinking of the R2R machines). Like you, I prefer to make my own interconnects, usually balanced, using standard 'studio quality' cable and connectors.

You are indeed fortunate in having some studio master and production copy tapes to play - I'm most envious. Talking of which, what are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hello Peter. Welcome to AOS.

As I'm sure you've seen there's a lot going on here, so just join in and get to know folk.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the welcome. Love the R2R machines, rebuilt / restored some of them.
    My favorite is the Studer A80, an ex-BBC machine, it sings. I've also have an A62 I purchased from Abbey Road, it has germanium transistors, sounds very smooth almolst valve like. Like Revox B77s not so keen on the Technics RS1500, arkward to lace up but sounds very good. The Telefunken M15A supposedly came from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, although I can't substantiate that. It's a serious machine might be more acurate than the A80?

The tapes are awesome. In my 20s spent time in Abbey Road with a full orchestra playing (for the score of Robocop) and it has a most distinctive acoustic, some of the tapes are from the same room and it is like being back there, like they've bottled the event.
    I've a wide ranging selection of tapes including original albums and compilations - sometimes have pinch myself.
    I own them jointly with a friend who help me acquire them.

I listen to a lot of dance from all ages, classical - some pipe organ, some jazz - just starting out with jazz to be honest, and increasingly getting in to R&B now that the Tannoys have bloomed. Tracks I always thought were un-playable are now getting a second look-in which is encouraging.

Cheers Peter

I'm Peter.

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks, there is indeed a lot on the forum. It's like ebay when I try not to look some days as too easliy distracted into another rabbit hole.
    But in seriousness, it's a great resource and community.

Cheers Peter

I'm Geoff.

If you haven't already Peter and you like vintage gear, take a look through the Past Masters section, I think you'd find it interesting.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Peter.

Thanks , will do

I'm Lawrence.

Seeing the title reminded me of the time the car broke down near Ystradfellte when I was young. We walked to the village and the kind vicar let us wait there until the AA arrived and gave us hot Welsh cakes yum

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Hi Lawrence,

Can't beat smell & taste of homemade Welsh cakes cooked on a griddle.
    Far too lazy but have to buy a pack for mum every time I go past a shop
    Like shop scones, think you have to nuke em for 5-seconds to revive them.
    Funny how we remember those childhood memories & with crystal clarity.

I'm James.

Hi Peter,

Not a million miles away just outside Bridgend. Love your tape and R2R collection! I have an Akai GX-630D which i love

James
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast