+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project - PART II 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Always good to see Lenco restoration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Never had the pleasure of working on a Lenco, i'll read with interest Andrew
    Nice to see more peeps along for the ride.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt I - Lets get the party started.

So the deck arrived and I decided to start on the bearing. Here's what I did. This is a list of things that I offer when I do bearing refurbishments for customers.

Completely dismantling the bearing.
    Cleaning old oil from the intrinsic shaft of the bearing and then cleaned out.
    Thrust plate examination and replacement (if needed)
    Spindle cleaned and polished (removes old oil and scratches).
    Ball bearing checked and polished or replaced if needed.
    Mounting screws ultrasonically cleaned and hand polished.
    Bearing housing ultrasonically cleaned.
    Bearing housing professionally polished.
    New oil change with our specially formulated oil.
    Replacement felt oil "O" ring (if needed).

So, here's what it looked like.

And after it got stripped down.

And then the components got a 24 hour soak in our special oil that we had formulated.

I polished the spindle and the bearing housing.

Bearing now completely assembled and ready for another 45 years!

The deck was in a sorry state. It needs for new mounting bolts. These are 20 minutes work to make, not difficult. It does indeed spin. I had to rewire the motor and get rid of the dodgy wiring but everything turns. The motor is very quiet which is a bonus but it will still get a service when the time comes. The platter was scratched to hell, it's had a first run polish but still needs some work.

We have a video over on www.facebook.com/wakefieldaudio please like us, or even follow us!

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 04-04-2021 at 20:43.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Wow!..that bearing looks like brand new Andrew. Excellent work

You're right, the GL75 does look a bit of a state, but I'm pretty sure you'll turn it into something special
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Got my spindle looking new but the housing looks like I just took it out the dump compared to yours!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Wow!..that bearing looks like brand new Andrew. Excellent work

You're right, the GL75 does look a bit of a state, but I'm pretty sure you'll turn it into something special
    I've had worse, the Goldring G99 I restored was in a hell of a state!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Got my spindle looking new but the housing looks like I just took it out the dump compared to yours!
    Thanks. The platter mat and the platter now look very similar.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Part II - Easy like Monday evening.....

I did a lot more work on the deck today. I completely stripped the Lenco down to it's top chassis. Everything has been separated ready for re-installation when the time comes. The paintwork was too far gone for a gentle refurbishment so I've started to strip this off which will probably take a couple of 2 hour sessions. I've noticed some corrosion under where the platter sits but hopefully this will be removed with some wet and dry. I've also removed the faceplate, again too far gone for salvage. I'm also going to fill in some of the chassis where the old tone arm lived but I'm leaving the original hole so that the future purchasers of this deck can install something of there own choice. The Lenco is versatile in that it will happily accept more Jelco, some older Linn and Ortofon arms. The platter mat got refurbished as well, it now looks mint, just like the bearing. Hopefully the deck will be fully stripped in the next couple of days. I think I'm going to do a midnight black paint job. I post some more pictures tomorrow. Stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Excellent looking forward to pic updates.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andrew.

Pt 3 - Strip Show

The Lenco now known as 7000 (it's serial No) has been stripped. As we can see everything is sitting in little plastic pots. Idler arm and motor awaiting servicing and refurbishment.

7000 has some pretty bad areas of scraping and corrosion, nothing too complicated but still need to be fixed.

And finally 7000 is totally naked with all her bits removed.

There is a new videoclip of the fully refurbished bearing over on www.facebook.com/wakefieldaudio

I'll try and get around to doing the idler arm tomorrow and finish removing the dodgy paint job from the top plate.

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 08-04-2021 at 21:19.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

That top plate is in a bit of a state. What's the plan for that Andrew?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Proper restoration job and great to see how it all begins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast