+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mics for use with Zoom?

I'm Dave.

Default Mics for use with Zoom?

I have been wondering whether any of the following mics would improve the sound for Zoom or other online meetings?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microp...TUQ/ref=sr_1_3 Blue Snowball

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-Pro...67W/ref=sr_1_2 Marantz MPM1000U

The USB Marantz might need a table top stand to be comparable with the Snowball. Despite Amazon's probably not accurate enough description, I think these both have a cardioid sensitivity pattern. If anyone else has good recommendations for affordable (up to around £50) microphones for use with Zoom or similar online meetings that could be helpful. Ideally a plug and play USB model.

I am not looking for very high quality mics, as it's not my intention to set up a studio for high quality audio, but I am thinking about getting one or two new mics for use with online meetings. Constraints are - cost around - approx £50 - or less, size, power supplies - maybe battery operated or driven by USB or other power source.. I think it is possible to get even cheaper ones - which some have said are OK. Maybe there really wouldn't be any point - compared with the inbuilt mics in computers.

Comments and/or suggestions.
    Dave

I'm Clive.

Get a quality webcam with built in mic. You get great video too. I use a Logitech.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Dave.

I'm about to try my Zoom H2n - which is quite good - now that I've found a USB mini cable which should work.

I also found this on Amazon - which has variable reviews - between very good and trash. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Mic...7000215&sr=8-2

My guess it that it's typically far Eastern in origin, so possibly very good, possible dreadful - depending on quality control - or complete lack of it. One of the German reviewers has a video inluding sound quality, and it does sound good. I'm tempted to try it as £30 approx is probably not going to break the bank.

Of the others I've looked at - I found some video reviews - including several from podcastage - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvO...nkT-JjN3ZzvuKA

For Zoom purposes these seem to tip the balance in favour of the Marantz MPM1000U, as I hadn't realised that there are two Blue Snowball models - the ICE and the vanilla flavoured one.
    The ICE version is typically around £50 in the UK the other closer to £70. Depends if you think you'd need the different settings possible with the regular model.

Unfortunately (for me ...) I found a review of another Marantz mic - the MPM2000U - which costs more - closer to £70 - and that really does seem like overkill for online communications - but against that I think it's possible to tell from the video review that it's actually a rather nice mic and could be used for things other than Zoom meetings.

So my current options are (1) don't bother with any new mic (2) use my already purchased H2n mic (3) buy the cheappie Victure mic (4)-(5)-(6) one of the Snowball variants or the MPM1000U or finally (7) buy the MPM2000U - and use it for serious recording as well as online meetings.

I did also discover some mics which have both XLR and USB as a result of checking this out, and one which has been recommended on the podcastage channel is the Audio Technica ATR2100-USB, but I think it's a dynamic mic and to my ears just doesn't sound as good as the others - https://www.podcastinsights.com/audi...tr2100-review/ and other condenser mics are comparably priced.

It's almost £80 currently from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Techn...s%2C159&sr=8-3

Review - https://youtu.be/mLpaNy6JzPg ATR2100-USB
    Dave

I'm Mike.

Working in the video conference industry i can recommend some of the Logitech gear the C920 is a decent camera with a good mic with a range of up to a couple of meters, other than that the Poly Studio P5 is a bit more expensive but has a better mic and optics, both are intended for personal use so the mic range is limited to usually a couple of meters so that background noise isn't picked up if you are in a bussy office for instance, for the best mic experience then go for a headset with mic boom again Poly offer a range called Blackwire that are good or Sennheiser offer some decent headsets.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Clive.

I have the older Logitech B910 webcam with mic. The 920 should be better in terms of video resolution, whether the mic is any different I can't say. I'm pleased to see Jac recommend Logitech. Over the many hours of work calls my webcam is very good, both video and sound are commented on as being very clear.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I have the older Logitech B910 webcam with mic. The 920 should be better in terms of video resolution, whether the mic is any different I can't say. I'm pleased to see Jac recommend Logitech. Over the many hours of work calls my webcam is very good, both video and sound are commented on as being very clear.
    I've seen webcams for £500+ from brands like Hudly they are excellent in terms of video and audio quality but £500 for a webcam would be hard to justify by anyone, Logitech although a consumer brand have moved quite successfully into the enterprise market and although all of their cameras have seen a price increase which isn't surprising in these circumstances their products are well made, give very good results and importantly most of them are sub £100 still, which is an acceptable amount for companies wanting to equip their staff with something better than what comes on the laptop.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dave.

I don't think I need another webcam - but I'll maybe think about that. Those options from post 4 cost more than the microphone option I mentioned, and are comparable in price to the better Marantz (MPM2000U) which now I quite fancy.

I have now tried out my Zoom H2n - and it is indeed significantly better than the inbuilt microphone. However there is some interference - not sure where that's come from. Could be background noise, or electrical. I didn't have that when I connected the same microphone to my MacBook Pro. Possibly could be due to the short USB cable.

For live work perhaps most people wouldn't notice. If making a recording - for example using Audacity - it's not too difficult to largely remove the unwanted noise with a filter, but it would be better to avoid having it injected in the first place.

Is it possible that the noise could have crept in via the short USB cable (50cm)?
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread