+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balanced Mains Power Supplies - Opinions?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Worth a try but you may get hum that way, I did.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Robin.

Tried a version for a few years and thought it very useful. Then one day removed it and the music burst into life again....
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Lawrence.

Reminds me of when I had a wooden shelved rack with Sorbothane feet on my components..

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Mains quality makes a helluva difference to sound quality in my experience.

My own system is fed from a balanced mains setup, a 10KVA hardwired unit feeding two Wireworld Matrix 2 star earthed Shutko mains blocks.
    Big improvements all round compared to plugging straight into the wall with standard cabling setup.

Got into it when I and others heard Ali Tait’s DIY balanced mains unit at a Hifi get together back in the day at mine, genuinely taken back with the improvement.

Then I read how Music studio’s used balanced mains setups?
    Good enough for David Gilmour, good enough for my Hifi!

Read a great article interviewing Phil Taylor, the guy behind setting up and maintaining David Gilmours Astoria studio?
    In it, he goes into loads of detail about AC power and other audio tweaks to the Studio.
    Disbelievers be warned, he talks of balanced mains, directional cables, importance of shielded cables and the like.

Snippet from page 18, where he talks about electrical mains quality:

Can we talk about AC power? I know you have given a lot of thought and effort to power on the Astoria.
    We realized many years ago the AC power, the mains as I call it, can make an incredible difference to the sound, to the audio. Most people, or a lot of people, are unaware of that. They think that if you plug something in and it lights up, fine, it works, with no conception that it could sound different...

Interesting read, and some food for thought for the OP.

https://www.davidgilmour.com/press/2...Op_March05.pdf
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-03-2021 at 16:07.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm tony.

I was at the session at Garys place, Alis BMU really blew us all away.

I ordered one the next day...stayed in my set up since.

The supply in my old house was effected by a nearby industrial estate, moved recently the mains seem better but the bmu remains in play.

I'm Lawrence.

Not had a chance to try it yet but the last post has made me wonder if I'm better off trying it in Durham as there are a few industrial estates in the area (though about a mile away).

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Old house you say...?

Hear Troons treating you well Amigo, we need to catch up been too long.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I was at the session at Garys place, Alis BMU really blew us all away.

I ordered one the next day...stayed in my set up since.

The supply in my old house was effected by a nearby industrial estate, moved recently the mains seem better but the bmu remains in play.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm inthescottishmafia.

+1.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    +1.
    wot you said.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12