+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced Mains Power Supplies - Opinions?

I'm Lawrence.

Default Balanced Mains Power Supplies - Opinions?

I've just bought this, I know it's near the bottom end of the range in terms of power handling, but I listen to music quietly with a class AB amp, and if it's not enough even for that then it will do for source and dac or DAC and pre.

Oh and it's the conditioning model.

Just wondering what others' views are?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

I think I could buy a lot of CDs for the price of that power conditioning system. Do let us know whether you (a) can tell the difference between that and regular sockets, and (b) if you can, "are the differences beneficial and worth the expenditure?"

Mostly I tend to think this kind of thing is just OTT, but I have heard from some serious electrical/electronic experts with a musical interest that they can make a difference. It may be one of those YMMV kind of things.
    Dave

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It will certainly run all your sources, and should be fine with the amp too- what’s the amp?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I built my own and found it worthwhile btw.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    It will certainly run all your sources, and should be fine with the amp too- what’s the amp?
    It's a Storm Audio Ri-70. As it's only about 220w into 4 ohms normally I'd think it's ok, but it's got this variable impedance feature and a massive trafo so I wonder if it draws more that a normal AB amp.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I think I could buy a lot of CDs for the price of that power conditioning system. Do let us know whether you (a) can tell the difference between that and regular sockets, and (b) if you can, "are the differences beneficial and worth the expenditure?"

Mostly I tend to think this kind of thing is just OTT, but I have heard from some serious electrical/electronic experts with a musical interest that they can make a difference. It may be one of those YMMV kind of things.
    True I'd never buy it at the new price without knowing what it did first, but I got it for a fair price nearly new. If I could have chosen the model I'd probably have gone for the next size up in case I needed more power in the future, but there's no sign of us moving to a detached house any time soon!

I'm Adam.

They work great, really noticeable sparkle to the dynamics.
    My Russ Andrews variant is as noisy as sin unfortunately, you can adjust the wiring inside to illuminate it but it never worked for me after countless fiddles.
    Still when it's quiet, mine works well

Yours is plenty big enough to handle your source and pre components... Some wouldn't recommend you stick your power amp on them anyway as they (apparently) can suck the dynamics.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Try it both ways and see which you prefer, it’ll be fine running the amp too.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks I'll try it when I have the time.

Now I need to think about where to place it in the "chain". I've currently got a streamer, DAC and integrated powered via a Belkin mains conditioning block. Sometimes I have a Liv Zen ripper instead of the streamer with a USB to SPDIF converter with a wall wart.

Airlink have some advice about where to put this which I must read, but given it has only 2 sockets then either it comes off the Belkin, or the Belkin comes off one of these.

I'm Alan.

plug the Belkin into one of the sockets on the bmu and plug your amplifier into the other socket...run everything else into the Belkin
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast