+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EL34 or equivalent recommendations?

I'm ahto.

Default EL34 or equivalent recommendations?

hello

DPD willing, I'm about to take delivery of a Croft Series 5 MkII. the seller ran it with JJs & says they never tried the unbranded valves the amp came with when they bought it second hand & which it will come with now. this leads me to assume I might need to revalve the Series 5 soonish. I have never heard an EL34 amp before and am hoping to avoid a steep and expensive learning curve. so -- any suggestions? (I'd also appreciate information on whether EL34 variants such as K77, EL34L etc would really be interchangeable with garden variety EL34s in a Croft power amp).

many thanks in advance

ahto
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Ian.

Hi Ahto, first of all, wow, nice move. You'll get lots of suggestions I'm sure. Personally I now pass on NOS valves due to cost and trust of source. I tend to value the better current production and have tried various Gold Lion tubes, including EL34 and found them to be great.

The Brimar re-issue look interesting (great British valve project or something like it), rebranded Chinese I think but seemingly well tested. Good luck !

I'm Dan.

Never been keen on the Gold Lion KT77 (reliability issues), but I have a number of customers that really like the JJ KT77.

I'm mick.

Russian 6p3-se ,very rugged and good sounding,used them for years in a Radford STA15.Have had them fitted at our NEBO meet ups so other members can vouch for their sound quality.After that RFT are good but pricier although can be cheaper if "rebranded".
    Best ones are Soviet era gold grid types
    Happy hunting

Mick
    A work in progress !

I'm Martin.

I have just last Saturday taken delivery of an Evo300 power amp which has Shuguang EL34s as stock, it's early days yet but they sound pretty fair to me. Whilst I don't doubt different manufacturers valves to nominally the same spec produce different sounds I'm not wholly convinced the variables justify the potentially enormous expense of trying them all out. You may disagree of course.
    I think that with 2ndhand valve equipment unless you know absolutely the condition of the valves it comes with then a budget for new ones are sensible.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm Lawrence.

I don't mind Shuguang power valves as a rule, they seem to be good value for money, it's the smaller Chinese signal valves I've found to sound pretty poor, Russian valves tend to be the best value for money in that department.

Personally I'd get a matched quad of Shuguang or a low use s/h quad of JJ or similar if it was me. Svetlana are good too but they've gone up in price (the original winged C I mean).

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I don't mind Shuguang power valves as a rule, they seem to be good value for money
    The Shuggies are actually quite good and pretty reliable, especially if you can find Valve Art branded ones.

I'm Chris.

Good suggestions so far and I have positive experience with the JJ's which are great value. I found the Gold Lion KT77's a bit too forward and lacking that creamy EL34 tone. As suggested Svetlana winged C are very good but unlikely to find as many as you need for a reasonable price. The 'cheap' chinese tubes are often good value too, I have actually always been surprised by the sound quality of the basic Psvane EL34 and EL-34b tubes which often come with cheapo amplifiers and kits from China etc.

There is a seller here selling matched quads for a reasonable price and he has a good seller rating.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EL34-PSVA...cAAOSw8A5gSh0I

If not you can always buy on Aliexpress but you may have to wait a couple of weeks.

If you want them soon and guarantee a decent level of sound quality the JJ's might be the sensible bet.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm ahto.

many thanks for all your comments. I think I'll give NOS valves a miss for the time being. JJs seem easiest to get hold of -- however there seem to be options: are KT77s a drop-in replacement for EL34. are EL34Ls?

Russian S67N equivalents have proven themselves a revelation in my Croft pre so this is something I'll need to research further. 6p3-se seems electrically different to EL34, from what I read on the internet. Svetlana prices, on the other hand, would take me close to NOS country.

much obliged

ahto
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Pete.

the best sounding I've found are Psvane treasure series 6ca7 they are expensive and I told deliver slightly more power. But sonically second to none !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast