+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neurochrome 686 Brand New Build

I'm David.

Default Neurochrome 686 Brand New Build

I was intrigued by reports of how good these Neurochrome modules are and also had a few requests to build some, so I thought it was time to try some out and evaluate the amps. The build was fairly straightforward and I used a chassis from Modushop who supply most of my cases. Tom the designer provides drawings for this chassis and suggests the large chassis shown in the accompanying photo.

The amp has a slow start module, and includes a sophisticated output protection system to protect your speakers. In practice, it turns on and off without a thump or buzz, with a small click as the relay clicks over. Construction is fully dual mono, and fully balanced with inputs by XLR. I’ve fed the amp with single ended source from my own brand ESS9038pro valve DAC, and also used a fully balanced source too. There's no great difference in sound quality between the two.

Residual background noise is effectively inaudible, even with my 96db sensitive JBLs, and sensitivity standard at 2v.

I’ve run the amp now for some 24 hours so it’s partially run in. Overall, I’m very impressed. I should confess here I’m a valve man through and through, with 845, 805 and KT120 monoblocks in the house and studio. But I do get quite a lot of high end
    Solid state gear through my workshop and also tried the Nord Class D amps a couple of years’ ago and have built Hypex-based amps for clients, but both of the latter left me cold.

This amp on the other hand is very musical. It’s neutral and revealing, but without robbing music of its soul. Bass is powerful and tuneful, and soundstage wide and deep. Higher frequencies are convincing, unlike IMO Class D amps that I’ve heard. For anyone who has an aversion to valves, young children or mischievous pets, or in need of 200 watts into 8 ohms, 360 into 4ohms, this could be the amp for you. I would rate it above the large Krell or Mark Levinson amps if you want a comparison. Tom the designer makes a lot of the need for a lot of heatsinking but with my 90db and 96db sensitive speakers the heatsinks hardly rise above room temperature.

£2,700 pick up only in London

I'm Nat.

Now that is an amp that would really make my Dynaudio Contour s3.4 sing and beautifully built unfortunately I've just invested in a Hegel H190.

I'm Adam.

Wow!... someone is in for a real treat!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Phil.

yes agreed .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm David.

Bumpety bump. Of course you can arrange for your own courier to pick up and I will box up appropriately
    David

I'm David.

Easter Bump

I'm David.

Bump

I'm Kevin.

This is a really good amplifier. I am a really happy owner of one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm David.

Bumpety bump. Sensible offers will be considered!

I'm David.

Bumpety bump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast