+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My best ever hifi upgrade...

Default My best ever hifi upgrade...

Just moved to a new place with nice carpet and sofa in the middle of an odd shaped room after years of wood floored box rooms with floor to ceiling windows.

Can’t believe it...

Deeper bass, sweeter highs, open mids. Years of box swapping, upgrades, cable swaps and laying rugs have been a total waste. Nothing has hit me like this.

Most hifi shops should double up as interior decorators and carpet show rooms....

Now who wants to start a premium acoustic hifi carpet brand? 😂

I'm Simon.

How much was the carpet though?

I'm David.

What inputs are you using ? Xtra Long Rug, Rug Carpet Analogue, or Lino In ?
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

Haha, to be fair with the acoustic underlay it cost more than an artisan set of interconnects.

Running on the rug carpet analogue due to DAC limitations ��
    MacBook / Cd6000ki > Beresford SEG + Dorado / Dragonfly Red > Bel Canto / MF X-A1 > Neat Iota / Tannoy R3...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchezxxx View Post
    Haha, to be fair with the acoustic underlay it cost more than an artisan set of interconnects.

Running on the rug carpet analogue due to DAC limitations ��
    Nice. I used to have a pair of Acoustic Underlay 109 speakers. Loved em.

How are you getting on with the Neat Iotas ? I visited the factory to pick up my Ultimatums, some years ago. Bob was testing the first pair of Iotas in the listening room. I couldn't believe that such a small box could create that much sound. They really were amazing, to the point that I was questioning my more expensive purchase.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Gary.

Just shows to go you...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

I always think you can tell when you walk into a room that it’s going to be acoustically good or bad, a good room feels quiet if you know what I mean, a place where sound doesn’t carry, where there’s zero echo and if there is a sound it can be pinpointed, my basement is like that and one of the reasons I put up with the other bits of my house that I don’t like

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I’m a big fan of the Iotas. I got them initially to get good sound at low volumes in a small room. The are now in a new random shaped 19x21 ft room and just disappear, yet don’t seem to struggle. To me they are more fun than the R3’s and are not shamed by any means in the bass / authority department despite their size.

1st thing I looked for on moving was a speaker swap but it really is unnecessary.

I don’t play rock at high volumes but for piano, electronica and even a little well recorded hip hop they do very well.

Maybe the higher end Elac’s with ribbon tweeter could be a nice upgrade in the future but right now I’m happy. The Elac’s won me over in the past on a blind speaker wall test but haven’t been able to test head to head with other Neat models.

Main shock for me is just how much a room can have an impact. I’ve tried listening rooms at a few high of shops and have never been convinced. When you get hit at what a difference it can make to your own mid range kit it makes you ponder many past purchases.
    Last edited by sanchezxxx; 22-03-2021 at 20:06.
    MacBook / Cd6000ki > Beresford SEG + Dorado / Dragonfly Red > Bel Canto / MF X-A1 > Neat Iota / Tannoy R3...

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I always think you can tell when you walk into a room that it’s going to be acoustically good or bad, a good room feels quiet if you know what I mean, a place where sound doesn’t carry, where there’s zero echo and if there is a sound it can be pinpointed, my basement is like that and one of the reasons I put up with the other bits of my house that I don’t like
    Clapping your hands in various location in the room will tell you everything you need to know.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread