+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthing speaker drivers.

I'm paul.

Default Earthing speaker drivers.

A question for Marco and and anyone else with Tannoys really.
    Have you tried earthing the driver chassis?, mine have been run like this for over five years and the improvement is worth any effort.

Paul
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Nobody.

I spoke to Spendorman probably last year about this...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Why would you do this? if there was real benefit, then the -ve terminal would be directly connected to the chassis and not insulated wouldn't it? Most -ve lines are connected to earth at the amp end I believe
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Why would you do this? If there was real benefit, then the -ve terminal would be directly connected to the chassis and not insulated wouldn't it? Most -ve lines are connected to earth at the amp end I believe
    Not eveyone will connect their speaker terminals to the coresponding coloured terminal on the amplifier. Those particularly concerned about absolute polarity and use a polarity-inverting power amplifier may well transpose the speaker connections to correct this. In this situation earthing the (black) speaker terminal would short out the amp.

On the face of it, it doesn't make much sense and would appear to be a fad. As far as I know Tannoy are the only speaker manufacturer to offer this facility; one would assume that they think it can be of benefit and why. Perhaps if Paul can explain in what way improvement is gained, then maybe some technical explanation might be possible.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I've earthed several Tannoy's with the appropriate terminal and heard no difference at all. After all, it is only earthing a cast alloy chassis. Perhaps, if there is a lot of RF interference around, it might make a difference...

I have seen loudspeakers where the chassis is grounded via a ground terminal to 'mains earth' and not to the amplifier -ve terminal. Never did hear it without.

Don't Wilson Benech do something like that?
    Dcarol

SME30/Phantom/A90, Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition, CJ Art Mk1, Levinson ML 331, JMlab Scala Utopia tons of vinyl

I'm paul.

I have taken an earth from the driver to my Isotek Substation and it sounds better, I dont know why it just does. I also put my television digibox in standby mode and switch off anything that might corrupt the mains, halogen and flouresent lamps. computers and even my CD player and Dac when my TD 124 is in use, the cumulative effect is not subtle.
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by tannoy man View Post
    I have taken an earth from the driver to my Isotek Substation and it sounds better, I don't know why it just does. I also put my television digibox in standby mode and switch off anything that might corrupt the mains, halogen and fluorescent lamps. Computers and even my CD player and Dac when my TD 124 is in use, the cumulative effect is not subtle.
    Paul, can you please describe how it sounds better? Steve (Toy) has made an excellent post, wherein he describes how the latest version of his Mark Grant cables sound with different styles of phono plug.

If you find the need to switch off halogen and fluorescent lamps (these presumably are plugged into wall sockets), this would suggest to me that your Isotek Substation is not doing a very good job.

Regards
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It worries me when systems seem so sensitive like a knife-edge to the tiniest things with mains, wire dressing (as long as cables afren't snagged) and other obsessive artifacts. I appreciate that Tannoys have a certain presence and clarity, but the best balanced systems I've heard during my long career don't seem anything like as sensitive.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm paul.

Instruments sound more real and isolated, backgrounds darker, crescendos clearer and everything seems to have made a more analogue transition from the master.a simple analagy would be my sons recent purchace of The Beatles Help on direct metal mastered vinyl, compared to my original it sounds hard and unrefined.
    The Substation was added to my system some time ago and was/is very beneficial to my goal of a totally dramatic but unfatiging sound.
    Dave, its not a fussy system, it sounds fantastic all the time, but if im listening critically the benefits are easy to hear.
    cheers gents
    Paul

and some other stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast