+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High end cd players

I'm Steve.

When my Densen CDP gave up the ghost I went out and bought a £300 Marantz player, and I don't feel I've lost any of the music. If I ever feel like upgrading, I guess buying a decent DAC to plug it into will be the way to go. Alan Firebottle's experience is intriguing, I'll look into that one.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

When I was talking to the technical guy from Melco at the last Windsor show he told me they actually find HDDs better for SQ. I can't remember all the technical details but I think he mentioned the read/write speed/process and the way the SSD physically stores data, they had done tests and research on it all.

If they've since moved from HDD to SSD then take it all with a pinch of salt!

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Adam.

It's interesting how CD players do seems to have come on in leaps and bounds. I reviewed Cambridge Audio's £300 AXC-35 a year or so back and was astonished at just how good it is.

Even then, though, my old Marantz CD-94 is still a fair way ahead of it!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Gary.

Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport is the most currently twisting my Melon..."forget all you think you know" sounding piece of gear for sensible money.
    Best Redbook CD playback I've had in my system by a country mile.

Regret selling my CDs now.

Adopted streaming...but still wanted to hedge my bets for the CDs I kept in the Cull...
    Spent significant wedge on my "last disc spinner" as well....for video its "good enough"( as they say, probably close to 4K Dolby Vision Reference quality) ...Audio though, even over i2s to a good Dac...compared to the 6000CDT it's a different Sport.

Just shows to go you.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 18-03-2021 at 22:24.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    When I was talking to the technical guy from Melco at the last Windsor show he told me they actually find HDDs better for SQ. I can't remember all the technical details but I think he mentioned the read/write speed/process and the way the SSD physically stores data, they had done tests and research on it all.

If they've since moved from HDD to SSD then take it all with a pinch of salt!

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    That's odd as Melco offer SSD storage as an upgrade on their units. Unless it's a downgrade for more money.

I'm Martin.

I suspect the reality is that nobody would be able to tell what type of drive their music was coming from.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    My CD playing experience has gone from 'meh' to astonishing.

I can now believe in the 'Perfect music forever' tag line. Listening to the CD collection is like listening to brand new music.
    The reason - I have moved onto a new R-2R Dac, the Musician Pegasus.

The detail and separation of complex passages, with absolute pin point imaging is an absolute joy.
    So my advice is ignore high end players, get a reasonable transport and a Pegasus.
    Are the R-2R converters reliable? Probably as much as any others. Getting the resistors in the ladder networks to accurate values might be difficult - I think special techniques are used for those. Do they drift off over time, thus compromising the conversion?
    Dave

I'm Alan.

I have no doubts about reliability, given that it's modern technology.

There are only 2 values in the resistor ladder, the required accuracy just makes them more expensive. I don't expect any drift as there is no power/heat in the resistor ladders.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Bought a Denon 1520 CD Player in the late 80s...entire grant cheque!!!

It was built like a brick shit house(big copper plate under the hood)
    I had one of those, too. Mine sounded absolutely awful. Put me off CDs/digital for years.

I'm Rob.

Like other's I've had problems with the reliability of CD players and have had a few goes south mechanically (including a "rock solid" Teac VRDS). So I would not spend a lot on a CD transport. For me that's made the Audiolab 6000CDT I purchased recently the perfect solution. It's at least as good as any of my previous players and is very affordable.

So my suggestion would be get a 6000CDT, and as Alan says, spend you're money on a good DAC. Especially as with that not only your CDs will sound better, but so will your streamed music.
    Rob.