+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Snap, crackle and pop...

I'm John.

As far as I know there’s no separate earth connection in Rega decks and it is combined with one of the audio negative connections (left channel negative maybe). I’d try connecting a fine wire to the earth post on the rear of the amp and carefully touching it to the metal cover on the underside of the cartridge whilst playing an album but be very gentle and use an old LP! If there’s no change then earthing may be ok. Or check for continuity with a multimeter from the cartridge metal cover to the earth connection on the amp with the phono leads connected and amp powered off.

I'm ahto.

is dust an issue? if so then it's static & earthing is the cause, in my experience
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Simon.

OK so I put my multimeter to the metal body and amp earth as it beeped. I then measured the resistance at 3 ohms, touching the meter wires gives 1.2ohms so there is 1.8ohms resistance to earth from the cartridge, what does that mean , is it atypical? Thanks

I'm John.

Just checked mine (RP8/Exact) and got 0.6 ohms after subtracting leads resistance which seems reasonable. I’m not sure why yours is higher. It would be worth phoning Rega and asking their advice.
    With a good record there’s typically no surface noise with mine, it’s inky black and I don’t have a cleaning machine, just using an anti-static brush before playing.

I'm Simon.

If mine was like that I wouldn't be contemplating ditching vinyl, i'll call rega thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    With a good record there’s typically no surface noise with mine, it’s inky black and I don’t have a cleaning machine, just using an anti-static brush before playing.
    Yup.

I remember when RCMs were not generally available and those very few that existed were aimed at the professional market and stupidly expensive. The RCM idea was initially regarded as a fad (in my book it still is one ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Love your tag line Geoff “ Repeat after me 'I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay! I must not look on ebay!”

What you see’s what gets you!

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I have a sneaking feeling that some may get addicted to using their RCMs and become so hung-up about listening for surface noise, crackles and clicks, that record cleaning becomes obsessive. I could be entirely wrong of course!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a sneaking feeling that some may get addicted to using their RCMs and become so hung-up about listening for surface noise, crackles and clicks, that record cleaning becomes obsessive. I could be entirely wrong of course!
    Rather like those that obsess over VTA/SRA, and adjust their tonearms for each and every record they play.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast