+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap, crackle and pop...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Especially if you have 4000-odd records to clean!

But whatever works for you works. I certainly wouldn't be putting any of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs 180g audiophile pressings, at £50-60 a pop, anywhere near glue!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Glue is ok but it’s messy takes a lot more time and if you have a lot of records it can get expensive, on top of that you need to apply the glue while the record is spinning ideally, so that means either glue near your turntable or a 2nd turntable just for this purpose, as macca said peeling the glue off is fun

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Graham.

Marco, the "glue" is totally benign, and works well. Less risk than some "cleaning" solutions.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

Yes, there is zero damage with the glue method. I'd be fine with using it on expensive records. Although I did try it on a 'sacrificial' record first just to be sure.

if you've got hundreds to do though, get a proper RCM.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Marco, the "glue" is totally benign, and works well. Less risk than some "cleaning" solutions.
    Hi Graham,

Different strokes for different folks mate, enjoy, but it's defo not for me - and besides way too much work with a large record collection!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Glue is ok but it’s messy takes a lot more time and if you have a lot of records it can get expensive, on top of that you need to apply the glue while the record is spinning ideally, so that means either glue near your turntable or a 2nd turntable just for this purpose, as macca said peeling the glue off is fun
    The very thought of the latter, regardless of anything else, fills me with dread!

My T/T is one of my prized and most cherished possessions. so aside from being dusted rather affectionately every week, the only thing that goes near it is me when playing records, and that's done with two pairs of kid gloves!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

buy a cheap tt off ebay, all it has to do is spin round.

You don't need a turntable to apply it anyway, I didn't use one.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    buy a cheap tt off ebay, all it has to do is spin round.

You don't need a turntable to apply it anyway, I didn't use one.
    a suction cleaner is best value when you have a fair sized collection.. mine is still with me for now as lockdown paused the sale. the moth 2 is an excellent, and reliable machine; even if its noisy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by BultyBoy View Post
    Thanks for the replies and for moving it, I wasn't sure if it fit here.
    I do have a disco antistatic and cleaned that new lp before playing. It still pops and crackles and I think I can differentiate what is the occasional dust particle that may cause a mistracking for a few rpm vs. the more constant static noise that incidentally seems to build throughout playback. I am going to check if everything is earthed today first. I don't want to throw the towel in yet and am not short of money so might buy an RCM. Maybe i can hear someone's system who has one when the COVIDS over. Thanks.
    Hi Simon, something doesn’t sound right here, especially the build up through playback. I used to have an RP6/Exact with the Elex-R and it was very quiet. In fact it was the drop in surface noise from the RP3/Elys2 which swung the dearer deck for me. I’ve recently bought an RP8/Exact and it’s equally quiet regarding surface noise. Maybe an issue with cartridge earthing?

Can you run a cable from the earth tab on the back of the amp to the cartridge body to prove?

I'm Simon.

Thanks JohnJo. I'll try that as I have seen the amp earth. Where is the earth tab on the cartridge? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast