+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Snap, crackle and pop...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have a sneaking feeling that some may get addicted to using their RCMs and become so hung-up about listening for surface noise, crackles and clicks, that record cleaning becomes obsessive. I could be entirely wrong of course!
    If you want to buy used records then an RCM is essential. Not everyone looks after their records. And that used to be by far the cheapest way to build up a decent collection, don't know if it still is.

I turned plenty of LPs bought for a quid each from unlistenable to sounding mint. Records that would cost a tenner in decent s/h condition or £30 each on a fancy new re-issue that probably isn't as good.

Then you've got the savings in stylus wear.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Hmmm, just put on a brand new album, Diana Krall Stepping Out, and side 1 is snap, crackle and pop, terrible. Has improved with a good going over with the brush but still not great. I’ve ordered some cleaning fluid from EBay for use with a cloth, I’ll see if that helps. One other side has some crackle and two sides are silent (double album).

Annoying

I'm Grant.

Static can cause it too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Static can cause it too
    There is a lot of static on this album as it’s lifting the felt mat when you remove the album.

Any advice on how to deal with it Grant, thanks.

I'm Mick.

I use a "Velvet Vortex" Ultrasonic cleaning machine, and would recomend its use for new or used records.
    After a 15 - 20 min clean new records are silent and static free, older records are much quiter dependent on condition. For cleaning soluiton i use the recipe on "London Jazz collector" website to mix my own.
    Also got given a DIY vacuum machine which also works well but not as good as the ultrasonic cleaner.

I'm Paul.

One of the worst culprits is paper inner sleeves or card where I find that the loose fibres can become entrenched in the grooves in which case it will take 2 or 3 runs through the cleaning machine, I always replace with anti-static inner sleeves even new vinyl.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    I use a "Velvet Vortex" Ultrasonic cleaning machine, and would recomend its use for new or used records.
    After a 15 - 20 min clean new records are silent and static free, older records are much quiter dependent on condition. For cleaning soluiton i use the recipe on "London Jazz collector" website to mix my own.
    Also got given a DIY vacuum machine which also works well but not as good as the ultrasonic cleaner.
    That’s a neat looking machine, thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by p147 View Post
    One of the worst culprits is paper inner sleeves or card where I find that the loose fibres can become entrenched in the grooves in which case it will take 2 or 3 runs through the cleaning machine, I always replace with anti-static inner sleeves even new vinyl.
    This new album came in paper sleeves, there was actually paper crud visible on the vinyl which I brushed off. Cracking is reducing with playing and brushing. Might have to get some of those anti-static liners.

I'm John.

I washed the really crackly new Diana Krall LP with this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-CL...YAAOSwxKBaAJk-

Then double rinsed it with de-ionised water from Halfords, dried it and put it into these Nagoka anti-static sleeves

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/naga...nyl/567502-01/

95% of surface crackling is gone, just the odd noise and I’d swear it sounds better.

I'm Neds.

Not sure Bulty, but I think you’re confusing a Disco Antistat machine with an antistatic brush? I’m sorry Marco, but they’re not “ dreadful things”, they actually work very well as many will attest. Many new pressings seem to be somewhat crap, which is why I’m glad that I’ve got enough vinyl to not need to buy them!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neds View Post
    Not sure Bulty, but I think you’re confusing a Disco Antistat machine with an antistatic brush? I’m sorry Marco, but they’re not “ dreadful things”, they actually work very well as many will attest. Many new pressings seem to be somewhat crap, which is why I’m glad that I’ve got enough vinyl to not need to buy them!
    I have a brush and disco antistatic, the records look clean but crackle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast