+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SL-1200 MKII mods or upgrade to 1200G

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by SiT4 View Post
    Out of interest did you try the 1200G with a range of carts ? I came to the conclusion that for me a top notch Audio technica MM cart is all that is needed to get the best out of it, synergy and all that. Or another way of putting it was that MC carts did not seem better musically as a combo than an AT540ML cart. But maybe thats because the arm isn't up to it on the stock 1210 ? So i wonder if it is with the 1200G ? For example, i would love to hear the AT Art 9 with the 1200G. I reckon that combo would be sublime but whats your take here ?
    The 1200G's arm looks very similar to that of the standard 1200/1210 but it's a very different arm which you can feel as soon as you pick it up. Firstly, the new arm is noticeably lighter which is down to the magnesium alloy rather than the aluminium tube of old. When you move the arm towards the centre spindle, you can also feel that movement is much smoother than with the original. Both the gimbal bearings and bearing housing have been re-designed and upgraded and friction is measurably lower. You can feel the whole thing is just of a much higher quality when you're manually cueing, although the feather-lightness of the arm can run away with you when you\re setting up a new cartridge, so that is one to watch. Internal wiring is much higher quality (at least as good as the aftermarket KAB wiring) and is continued through to the headshell, which also looks the same but now also allows azimuth adjustment. The only similarities that are carried through from the original arm seem to be the counterweight and the anti-skate which I think could have been a bit more accurate, but that's a very minor niggle. My only other niggle is the range of VTA adjustment doesn't quite go low enough for some shorter bodied cartridges. I couldn't get the right VTA on my Audio Technica AT-33PTG. You can get around it with shims or a thicker platter mat, but there's a better way around it:

The one real issue I have found with the new arm is that because it is so much lighter, that does narrow your choice of cartridge somehow and you'll need to avoid cartridges with low compliance values. I have tried a number of different cartridges both MM and MC and I can say 100% that a good MC will really sing so long as it's a good match for the arm. My Shure M-55e with Shibata stylus and Audio Technica AT-95 with fine line stylus sound great, but they're no match for the AT-33PTG which sounds stunning on the 1200G (when setup correctly). I was hoping to use my old Dynavector DV20X2L MC as it had been my overall favourite for a good while, but it sounded dull and lifeless on the 1200G at first. I was lucky enough to get hold of a SoundSmith Carmen MKII for a great price which is a moving iron and that worked very nicely but in the back of my mind I knew it was capable of more, so I'd started thinking that maybe the arm was the bottleneck and pondered changing it, but then I got wind of the Funk Houdini so I thought I'd give that a try and that has solved all remaining issues. With the Houdini in place, ALL of my cartridges are performing at their best and it also solves the problem of the VTA not going low enough as it is basically a 6mm shim. The combination with the 1200G arm and Houdini is the best vinyl replay I've ever heard anywhere and you can now choose whatever cartridge you like. Like yourself I think the ART-9 or something from that family is going to be my next move, but there's plenty of life in the Dynavector and the SoundSmith yet..
    Rich

I'm Kevin.

Sounds like the arm on your 1200/1210 had worn bearings if I am honest.
    Mine is as smooth as it could possibly be.

I was intrigued as people say that the arm is still not great, and big improvements can be made by changing it out.
    There is no doubt that the 1200G is a class act though.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    The 1200G's arm looks very similar to that of the standard 1200/1210 but it's a very different arm which you can feel as soon as you pick it up. Firstly, the new arm is noticeably lighter which is down to the magnesium alloy rather than the aluminium tube of old. When you move the arm towards the centre spindle, you can also feel that movement is much smoother than with the original. Both the gimbal bearings and bearing housing have been re-designed and upgraded and friction is measurably lower. You can feel the whole thing is just of a much higher quality when you're manually cueing, although the feather-lightness of the arm can run away with you when you\re setting up a new cartridge, so that is one to watch. Internal wiring is much higher quality (at least as good as the aftermarket KAB wiring) and is continued through to the headshell, which also looks the same but now also allows azimuth adjustment. The only similarities that are carried through from the original arm seem to be the counterweight and the anti-skate which I think could have been a bit more accurate, but that's a very minor niggle. My only other niggle is the range of VTA adjustment doesn't quite go low enough for some shorter bodied cartridges. I couldn't get the right VTA on my Audio Technica AT-33PTG. You can get around it with shims or a thicker platter mat, but there's a better way around it:

The one real issue I have found with the new arm is that because it is so much lighter, that does narrow your choice of cartridge somehow and you'll need to avoid cartridges with low compliance values. I have tried a number of different cartridges both MM and MC and I can say 100% that a good MC will really sing so long as it's a good match for the arm. My Shure M-55e with Shibata stylus and Audio Technica AT-95 with fine line stylus sound great, but they're no match for the AT-33PTG which sounds stunning on the 1200G (when setup correctly). I was hoping to use my old Dynavector DV20X2L MC as it had been my overall favourite for a good while, but it sounded dull and lifeless on the 1200G at first. I was lucky enough to get hold of a SoundSmith Carmen MKII for a great price which is a moving iron and that worked very nicely but in the back of my mind I knew it was capable of more, so I'd started thinking that maybe the arm was the bottleneck and pondered changing it, but then I got wind of the Funk Houdini so I thought I'd give that a try and that has solved all remaining issues. With the Houdini in place, ALL of my cartridges are performing at their best and it also solves the problem of the VTA not going low enough as it is basically a 6mm shim. The combination with the 1200G arm and Houdini is the best vinyl replay I've ever heard anywhere and you can now choose whatever cartridge you like. Like yourself I think the ART-9 or something from that family is going to be my next move, but there's plenty of life in the Dynavector and the SoundSmith yet..
    Another great write up. Thanks for your insights here. Let us know if you go down the ART 9 route !

I'm Mike.

1210 Mk7 just released

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Initial (knee-jerk) impressions:

I spent last weekend resetting up my SL-1200MK2 that has a Mike New Audio bearing and a Trans-Fi T3 Pro Terminator linear/air bearing arm. I also spent some time with the newly arrived SL-1200G with magnesium tonearm.

Using the same cartridge/headshell combination (and since it's been a while since I've had it set up) it smacked me in the face how good the modded 1200MK2 is. Honestly, I think it edged out the 1200G just by a little bit. I believe much of that has to do with linear tracking over pivoted. However, the Mike New bearing is just a beast...a very, very, very, quiet beast. I was reminded what a jump it was going to that from a stock 1200MK2 (which I also have aided by a KAB Fluid Damper) which in and of itself is quite good. No doubt the 1200G is a step above that and very well may be the equal or maybe even better than the modded 1200MK2. The verdict is still out on that. I'll have to do more listening. One thing I do not believe will change is that both the 1200G and modded 1200MK2 will consistently beat out the stock 1200MK2. At this point, I won't be getting rid of either the modded 1200MK2 or the 1200G. In fact, I won't be getting rid of the stock deck, either.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Ian.

There's no doubt about it with a few mods a mk2 1200 can become a great sounding deck and once people put aside that "DJ" label out performs many similar price offerings from elsewhere. Plus for a relatively small outlay carrying out the mods most of which can be carried out in the comfort of your own home,it becomes a great platform to try alternative cartridges and tonearms.
    My wife maintains she prefers the sound of the Technics over my Gyrodec,but as she is hard of hearing so i ignore her.

I'm Andrew.

The problem with owning any deck that has been maxed out is then to consider what to do for your next project. I started with the 1210 fully modded (which I still own) and have ended up with 5 decks sitting in my listening room!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    The problem with owning any deck that has been maxed out is then to consider what to do for your next project. I started with the 1210 fully modded (which I still own) and have ended up with 5 decks sitting in my listening room!

Truth spoken, here.

At last check, 12 decks in total (half of them 1200's).

There are worse vices.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Mike.

In most cases I sell on the decks I don’t use, but I now own 3 Thorens decks a 125, and 2 x 160’s, I just can’t help myself when I see a bargain

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andrew.

My latest project is the heybrook tt2 which is a really good deck. Fancied one For ages and one came along at the right price , I’ve been having a a ball with it so far. The other decks haven’t been played for weeks
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast