+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audiophonics Evo Sabre DAC preamp

I'm Ian.

Default Audiophonics Evo Sabre DAC preamp

I'd already had a good experience with audiophoncis.fr with an nCore power amp so I thought I'd have a go with this kit for a DAC preamp.

Here's what comes in the compete kit. I've already mounted the RPi 4 on the main board.

First job is to mount the main board on the base of the case.

Then attach the back plate and a couple of cables one of which brings a socket for the SD card on the Pi to the back plate

Then attach the two displays to the front panel plus volume knob and on/off switch. Connect displays to main board and finish the case.

Fairly straight forward really
    Next job was to put an image of Picoreplayer onto the SD card and then start her up. I've used Picoreplayer before and knew there would be a few configuration settings to fiddle with but all went well and soon the Evo was playing and doing it very well!

However, try as I might I couldn't find anyway to get the right screen on the fascia to display anything - it's supposed to display track information. So I burnt a copy of Volumio onto the SD card downloaded from Audiophonics which was supposed to be set up for the Evo. Worked very well except I couldn't get any sound out of the machine! Searching help files/support gave me no clues so just for curiosity I downloaded the Volumio app for my iPad. No sound from the web browser version but the app on my iPad worked first time - go figure! The left-hand display indicates volume and sampling rate and works fine.

So, with a little construction of a level my granddaughter could do here is a very competent DAC pre amp using an internally mounted RPi for streaming. I've only listened to Qobuz tracks so far but I'm really impressed with the sound quality and it was fun putting it together.

I'm Adam.

Good job Ian!

Sounds like sorting out the software was more difficult than the actual construction.

I'm Ian.

Yes, you are probably right Alan. The Evo has been in the system for a few days now and I have to say I am mightily impressed. Combined with the Audiophonics nCore power amp it is both powerful and delicate. Bass is definitely stronger and a tad deeper than with my Auralic Polaris and imaging is excellent. I have a lot of female singers in my collection and this set up really shows up the textures in their vocals.

I'm Barry.

Nice, would make a ideal upgrade for my RaspDac mini kit, just needs a updated copy of MoOde.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I'd already had a good experience with audiophoncis.fr with an nCore power amp so I thought I'd have a go with this kit for a DAC preamp.

Here's what comes in the compete kit. I've already mounted the RPi 4 on the main board.

First job is to mount the main board on the base of the case.

Then attach the back plate and a couple of cables one of which brings a socket for the SD card on the Pi to the back plate

Then attach the two displays to the front panel plus volume knob and on/off switch. Connect displays to main board and finish the case.

Fairly straight forward really
    Next job was to put an image of Picoreplayer onto the SD card and then start her up. I've used Picoreplayer before and knew there would be a few configuration settings to fiddle with but all went well and soon the Evo was playing and doing it very well!

However, try as I might I couldn't find anyway to get the right screen on the fascia to display anything - it's supposed to display track information. So I burnt a copy of Volumio onto the SD card downloaded from Audiophonics which was supposed to be set up for the Evo. Worked very well except I couldn't get any sound out of the machine! Searching help files/support gave me no clues so just for curiosity I downloaded the Volumio app for my iPad. No sound from the web browser version but the app on my iPad worked first time - go figure! The left-hand display indicates volume and sampling rate and works fine.

So, with a little construction of a level my granddaughter could do here is a very competent DAC pre amp using an internally mounted RPi for streaming. I've only listened to Qobuz tracks so far but I'm really impressed with the sound quality and it was fun putting it together.
    HI Ian, how has the unit been after a few months, still happy with it? I am considering this as a build myself.

I'm Ian.

Hi Craig,
    Sorry I missed your post. Yes, very happy with the unit, sounds great and is very straightforward to use. However, you may have seen in the Private Exhibitions that I am selling it. I recently bought a new amp with an inbuilt DAC which made this somewhat redundant especially as I was looking to reduce the box count. If I didn't use vinyl I would be happy to keep this as a pre amp and buy a decent power amp.

+ Reply to Thread