+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital stylus scales....?

I'm Adam.

I have found these cheap digital scales to be very inaccurate, really varied readings depending on what angle the scales are positioned under the cartridge. I have reverted to an old school Shure Precision Stylus Tracking Force Gauge SFG-2
    I had these issues with the digital scales and then when chatting with a mate, who just happens to be one of the worlds biggest high end analogue dealers, he said he swears by the Shure....
    I figured if it was good enough for him, then a no brainer for me.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Grant.

ive one of the digi ones in question and found it a bit iffy at times but useful along with other guages. Ive still got my shure balance too and a better digital one, that i dont see on ebay any more alas. its very accurate
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clive.

I’ve had 3 or 4 of the cheap Chinese digital scales and found that they all succumbed to failure so I now use a Jelco scale which if you can still get hold of one would be a good investment. Mine still works accurately for the last two years. What’s cheap usually in my experience isn’t. As I swop cartridges (evens wear between my cartridges) over regularly I use it once every 6-8 weeks.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Matt.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky with my relatively cheap digital scales.
    I’ve got the Shure balance scales which is great fun to use, but I honestly don’t think you can get seriously accurate, say within thousandths of a gram as you can with some of the digital scales.
    Does it really matter, getting to within thousandths of a gram is debatable I guess.
    I agree that the digital scales can give different readings depending upon placement, which is why I always take a few readings over the arc of the arm to get a good idea of what’s going on.
    Having a couple of different sets of scales allows cross-referencing between them & they usually come with a reference weight for calibration.
    I have compared my cheap ones against a ProJect set costing about £90 or so & the results seem pretty consistent.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/324338023127

I had the one mentioned in above posts but had problems with the batteries flattening and faint display.
    Make sure with this type of scale that the side battery contact isn't pushed down within the battery compartment.
    I have a suspicion that the side contact may have been shorting the two batteries together in mine, resulting in one of the cells going flat very quickly.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

All analogue scales are more accurate than digital scales. Don't confuse resolution with accuracy.

I do use a digital scale, but I have calibrated it with the weights used with the Transcriptors Stylus balance. These in turn were measured using a chemical balance at work, whose own weights were calibrated and checked by the UK National Bureau of Standards.
    Barry

I'm martin.

Bought one from Johnnie 7 Audiorigami.

Regards,

Martin

I'm Kev.

Went for this in the end...just over £10 including Brexit tax (Haha!) and delivery.
    Came in 8 days too....great.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001490030760.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12