+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It was going to plan until...

I'm Michael.

Here’s my take on the problem.
    Using a hacksaw blade only, no frame, and from the back of the plinth, very gently using backward and forward strokes, try and sever the joint of the plinth from the cabinet.

If you modify the stand, it may be better to try and get it flame cut rather than using an angle grinder. I think the Tannoys will look a bit odd on stands with thei plinths on, but it’s up to you.

I'm Alan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORDLESS-...gAAOSwUp1gN7lU

Steve's suggestion...this will move it...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Steve.

That is a very good price for a cordless one. Rather than cutting through long strokes, the blade just vibrates really quickly. Very easy to control the cut. Use mine every day, wouldn't be without it
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

If the speakers are from the same batch, strange that one would be glued and the other not.

Lay the cabs on their sides and try the plinth a few firm knocks with a block and hammer starting with the "free" ends.
    I'd give that a go before my multi tool (surely a thing of the devil, a worse noise than a router !)

I'm Michael.

Removing the screws first before tapping the the plinth of course!

I'm Martin.

That would be the sensible thing to do ��

I'm Simon.

Well, yesterday I got around to deciding on what to do. A quick Click and Collect at B&Q to pick up this
    I already had a battery and charger so the £70 wasn't so bad. Now I have an angle grinder I wonder if I'll ever use it again
    On balance I thought I'd rather butcher the stands rather than the speakers. While I was faffing with the Tannoys I gave the plinths a lick of satin black to spruce them up a bit.

Last night's listening session was illuminating. Being on stands clears up the midange very nicely. Micro details emerge that were previously obscure. Also vocals that were somewhat shrill as on the Ned Doheny LP pictured were smoothed out.
    The only downside seems to be that the bass has been reduced... maybe too much

I should point out that I haven't filled the stands with damping material. I'd be interested to hear from others of their experience with damping. Would adding some kiln dried sand or some other stuff toughen up the bass? Incidentally, the stands are by Atacama.

Cheers
    Simon.

I'm Martin.

You move the driver up and away from a room boundary you're going to get less bass. You could try even shorter stands but then you lose some of the benefits in the mid and top.

One way round it would be very short stands that tilt the speaker back slightly.

Filling the stands can give more 'solid' impact to the bass but not known it to increase the amount or the depth of it. And it can get a bit relentless.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Interesting. I got the stands because I thought it would reduce sound transfer to the upstairs which it certainly does. Maybe I can't have it both ways
    Simon.

I'm Michael.

Seek advice from Tannoy or Lockwood Audio. Whichmodel are the Tannoys?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast