+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It was going to plan until...

I'm Simon.

Default It was going to plan until...

I wanted to buy some stands for my Tannoys for a while. Naturally I measured the the top of the speaker to see what dimension the top plate of the stand should be. I took the plinth off easily so I duly placed my order for the Atacamas and the they arrived in Thursday.
    After assembling I took to removing the plinths of the Tannoys. First one - a few screws to remove and away it came - easy so I set about tackling the second one. Out came the screws but the plinth remained firmly attached!
    Bugger - It seems that it had been glued AND screwed

The top plate of the stand is just slightly too big to fit inside the plinth. I really don't want to hack away at the speaker so it looks as though I've got to get the angle grinder out and do a bit of metal work. I'm now looking online for battery powered angle grinders. Hi Fi eh?
    Simon.

I'm Geoff.

Put a thick board across the bottom of the plinth?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Hmm - it's a thought. I suppose I'd have to put some form of damping inside the void
    Simon.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    Hmm - it's a thought. I suppose I'd have to put some form of damping inside the void
    Well it won't hurt.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Pete.

Have you tried a hammer?

Just joking - but I do wonder if the glue is a contact adhesive that can be dislodged with a few careful mallet blows to a bit of wood placed against the side of the plinth.

I'm Edward.

Try a glue solvent and let it seep into the join. You may have to try different solvents (e.g. white vinegar, Ethanol, Iso) and let the solvent gradually seep into the joins (using masking tape etc).
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Have you tried a hammer?

Just joking - but I do wonder if the glue is a contact adhesive that can be dislodged with a few careful mallet blows to a bit of wood placed against the side of the plinth.
    Best bet would be a solid wooden doorstep is you have one.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

craft knife into the join, work it right round.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for the tip guys. I'll have a go at the weekend. I've got some Sticky Stuff remover that should do the trick.I'm wary of damaging the speaker as it's of more value than the stands. Thing is I've no intention ever of selling them so the point is moot Still, I'm keen on keeping the integrity of the Tannoys.
    Simon.

I'm Steve.

Multi tools are great for this sort of thing. if you can borrow one it'll save you a lot of effort and grief
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast