+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from NYC

I'm Aron.

Default Hello from NYC

Hello,

I am a former molecular biologist, now a companion for the elderly, who resides in NYC. I like many genres of music, but am particularly fond of electric bass players who make their bass sing (e.g. Mike Watt). Also fond of music that incorporates drones - whether generated by cellos, organs, synthesizers, harmoniums or bagpipes. Music that, in general, sends a shiver down my spine. I currently listen exclusively in mono, but am building a mid-side speaker arrangement with the mid-channel covered by a solid state amp driving stacked, forward-facing, Spendor BC-1’s and the side channel covered by a tube amp driving twin Lii Audio 18” full-range units in an open baffle positioned immediately behind, and perpendicular to, the Spendors.

Current system consists of: Stereocoffee LDR preamp, Highly modified Brook 12a amp (Intact Audio and Bud Purvine iron, V-Cap ODAM capacitors, Shuguang Treasure CV181Z input and driver tubes). Stacked Spendor BC-1 speakers with Gaia footers. Speaker cables and Interconnects all Duelund 16ga tinned, stranded, copper. Power cables Duelund 12ga or 16ga.

DIY spring feet adapted from champagne stoppers + various Herbie’s products used throughout for component isolation.

Analog Source: Denon VL12 prime turntable, Jurijs Redin’s 12” wooden EMT 997 replica tonearm, Pickering “chicken head” 380 cartridge. RJM VSPS , a humble OPAMP - based phono pre built with Allen Bradley resistors, Corning-glass caps for RIAA and V-Cap ODAM coupling caps. Current OPAMP = Scott Lieber’s red dot 2520 clones (API style studio console OPAMPs adapted for use in an 8pin DIP socket)

Digital Source: Sony X222ES CDP as transport, Lifatec glass toslink cable, VALAB NOS dac with Arizona green blocking capacitors

I'm Martin.

Hi Aron, welcome to the forum.

Show us some pictures of your set-up if you can, it certainly isn't conventional.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Aron.

Default A few crappy pictures...

I'm Martin.

Bonkers but cool too. Great idea building the pre amps into the Sansui.

I like that Denon deck, never seen that model before.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Aron.

Default Thank you Macca

Ha! Thank you Macca. I love the look of that old Sansui! I’ve been tinkering for a long-time now - ever since Sound Practices magazine inspired me to try building stuff myself in the early 1990’s. I’ve rarely been able to buy expensive gear, and have slowly acquired and modified my “mono” for decades. I haven’t heard many great systems and I’m sure what I’ve done is deeply flawed. I wandered off the trail many years ago and I’m pretty deep into the woods now. Still the system does some things incredibly well - and it really pushes my buttons. If nothing else I’m intrepid, and hopeful that some of my findings will be of interest to people on this forum.

BTW, where should I post my first contribution on the StereoCoffee LDR preamp?

Best - Aron

I'm Geoff.

Welcome to AOS Aron.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Densel View Post
    Ha! Thank you Macca. I love the look of that old Sansui! I’ve been tinkering for a long-time now - ever since Sound Practices magazine inspired me to try building stuff myself in the early 1990’s. I’ve rarely been able to buy expensive gear, and have slowly acquired and modified my “mono” for decades. I haven’t heard many great systems and I’m sure what I’ve done is deeply flawed. I wandered off the trail many years ago and I’m pretty deep into the woods now. Still the system does some things incredibly well - and it really pushes my buttons. If nothing else I’m intrepid, and hopeful that some of my findings will be of interest to people on this forum.

BTW, where should I post my first contribution on the StereoCoffee LDR preamp?

Best - Aron
    reviews can be posted in the 'Strokes Of Genius' section.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Aron.

Thanks All. Have reposted my first contribution, a review of the latest iteration of the StereoCoffee LDR preamp in Strokes...

I'm Rob.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

welcome to AoS Aron.

How do you stack your Spendors - tweeter to tweeter or bass to bass? A friend of mine once used stacked B&W DM2as; whilst he was happy with the arrangement, I found either configuration unsatisfactory - especially adjacent woofer to woofer placement.

However I assume your arrangement is satisfactory.

Good to read of your DIY approach. Like you, in the beginning I could not afford to buy ready-made audio items, so had to build my own amplifiers and speakers (initially mono only then later stereo.)

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast