+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coupling yamaha ns 1000m's

I'm loheswaran.

Default Coupling yamaha ns 1000m's

Hey guys.
    I have been doing a lot of DIY of late and made some stands for my Yamaha NS1000M speakers.

I made some out of wooden worktop and resemble the Kenrick Sounds stands.

My question is this.

1. Should I couple the speaker to the stands with some feet, or
    2. should I sit it directly - ie cabinet to wood stand
    3. same as above but the feet of the stands
    4. If so what do I use for the feet
    5. has anyone tried deflex panels to couple speakers to the floor or to stands?

I'm Martin.

All the various options will be different, ideally try them all and decide.

Otherwise it makes most sense - on paper at least - to decouple speaker from stand. I use these neoprene washing machine feet https://www.amazon.co.uk/nuoshen-Ant...42955453&psc=1
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Philip.

Don't think it's going to make a jot of difference to these speakers. They have really solid cabinets and weigh circa 30kg apiece, just plonk them on the stands. That's what would have happened in the studio.

I also use NS1000 (non m's), mine sit on small rubber feet on the stands purely to stop them sliding.

I'm jamie.

Yep and just to add another variable mine sit directly on the stands lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Pete.

the questions ....

1. Should I couple the speaker to the stands with some feet, or
    2. should I sit it directly - ie cabinet to wood stand
    3. same as above but the feet of the stands
    4. If so what do I use for the feet
    5. has anyone tried deflex panels to couple speakers to the floor or to stands?

Its been 20 odd years since I played with ns1000's so bear with me !

the interface between stand and speaker should prevent the speaker being pushed off ...so my preference is blutac . The function of the stand is to raise the tweeter to ear level in your normal listening position. It then must not add to the sound or take anything away. That's not to say stand wont improve the sound ...as they usually do. The stand must be able to loose energy either through damping or transmission. My preference then would be to decouple the speaker /stand combo from the floor. I like Iso acoustic gais or EVP isolator feet. But you can try partly inflated bike inner tubes though I never completely over came the stability issues. You could go old school and use spike or cones but in my experience this is a retrograde step. Spikes couple the stands to the floor allowing vibration to pass each way.

I remember the ns1000 as being very unforgiving speakers but if you find there sweet spot with both kit and placement will be very engaging ..... but ruthlessly revealing of issues upstream .

+ Reply to Thread