+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD. Large Horn Speakers Altec or JBL

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethelcat View Post
    Not a problem; your title said, ‘horns OR JBLs’ (my emphasis) so was only looking to broaden the field for you

Good luck with your search

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm not the OP, just a casual observer. I read it as "horns (altec or JBL)" rather than "horns (altec) or JBL" if you follow me.

Anyway, still a good recommendation for some great speakers with an interesting bass loading, which I did find from experience quite similar sounding "in room" to a rear horn loading.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Nick.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Much appreciated. I'm still hankering after Altec 19 or something with a 15 inch woofer and horns. I can't get past big bass = big speaker.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Martin - Klipsch scare me a little as they have been described as harsh and my room is full of hard surfaces, but I will not discount them.
    I have heard a few old school klipsch models and they have never sou ded harsh. Rather they have sounded quite warm but dynamic.
    Definitely an acquired taste but worth a listen as they are very different from the norm.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    I have heard a few old school klipsch models and they have never sou ded harsh. Rather they have sounded quite warm but dynamic.
    Definitely an acquired taste but worth a listen as they are very different from the norm.
    I agree. Klipsch can be every bit as enjoyable as big Altecs or JBLs (or Tannoys)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Much appreciated. I'm still hankering after Altec 19 or something with a 15 inch woofer and horns. I can't get past big bass = big speaker.
    Teehee...wholly agree with big speakers for big bass but doesn’t necessarily need 15”

My Genesis Technology 201s are most capable

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the recommendation Phil. I've never even heard of these Audio Amy speakers. A kit is not an option for me as I'm a totally useless at electronics, but the built version is really interesting. I love the blond birch ply. Have you heard these by any chance?

I must admit I was looking for a 15" woofer plus horns in a big square-ish box as I love that brutal look and if honest I want JBL but don't have the money. But I'm now going to do some research on Audio Amy. My room is 8x8x2.4m. It's my art studio, a workspace, not my home, but we have music on all day. So listening at modest volumes while we have people around is important, but I crank it up when I'm on my own. Do you think these are 'man' enough to fill that space?

Thanks again.
    Any large floorstanding speaker will fill that space pretty easily, you don't need horn loading for that unless you also want to use an amp that has very low power.

If you want deep bass I'd look at a transmission line design rather than a horn. Driver size is not related to depth of bass or deep bass power. The Altecs and JBL designs you are thinking of don't do low bass at all, neither do Klipsch, but they do have 'presence' and sound effortless.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Good idea, I'd recommend the IMF TLS80s, I loved my time with them.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Yes, IMF or TDL would be a good shout.

With a big space like that there's plenty of scope to set up the speakers well away from rear and side walls. Superb results could be obtained with a wide variety of speakers. Doesn't need to be horns, just something large with good power handling.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Thanks for the recommendation Phil. I've never even heard of these Audio Amy speakers. A kit is not an option for me as I'm a totally useless at electronics, but the built version is really interesting. I love the blond birch ply. Have you heard these by any chance?

I must admit I was looking for a 15" woofer plus horns in a big square-ish box as I love that brutal look and if honest I want JBL but don't have the money. But I'm now going to do some research on Audio Amy. My room is 8x8x2.4m. It's my art studio, a workspace, not my home, but we have music on all day. So listening at modest volumes while we have people around is important, but I crank it up when I'm on my own. Do you think these are 'man' enough to fill that space?

Thanks again.
    yes i have heard some of these , they were good and yes they will fill that space big time
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

another set of horns today , great vfm

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/morei...=89037&offset=