+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WTD. Large Horn Speakers Altec or JBL

I'm Nick.

Certainly is for me Gordan...

I'm Richard.

Default JBL - Altec ,but what about Tannoy ?

Hi Nick ,

I think I understand what you're after . Sorry to say you'll not find a JBL or Altec for that money .... The closest you'll get is a coaxial 604e or something like that .... If you can build the cabinets you could get close buying Altec parts .

You can find Tannoy Golds for around Ł2k but still you'll need to build an Onken cabinet . Not sure you'll get high SPL , but you'd get a fab sound to fill the studio.

There's some modern PA gear that will work very well too , but for that money youre looking at something you wont get the a kind history to it .

I built some JBL's for my Peckham studio a few years ago , but I had to be patient and spend a few months hunting parts at prices I could afford .

JBL 4345 .... Built from Scratch and the 4333a were found on eBay from an old studio .

Good luck on your search and drop me a line if theres anything I can do to help .

Sorry its such a crap image ..... try this : http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ng-to-UK/page3

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by richluvsound; 05-04-2021 at 20:01.

I'm Nick.

Now you're talking Richard. That's a speaker alright. Would you consider making me a pair to commission? Or is my budget not realistic?

thx

I'm Didier.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, there's no duty importing anything from EU to UK or UK to EU. Only VAT.
    In fact many people are afraid of import taxes, but they are either very low or even don't apply but you're right the real problem is VAT on price of goods and shipping costs. Unless you can find something cheaper in Europe by a margin of 25-30% , there is no point in buying outside UK (this is true the other way, I was interested in buying a 2nd hand DAC in UK but its price would have been on par with a new one in UE).

I'm Des.

These any good, but they may be gone not sure.

https://audioabattoir.com/t/fs-jbl-l300-speakers/10065
    Last edited by Hap Hazzard; 06-04-2021 at 07:50.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap Hazzard View Post
    These any good, but they may be gone not sure.

https://audioabattoir.com/t/fs-jbl-l300-speakers/10065
    Heard those a few times. They just sounded wrong to me, badly coloured and inaccurate.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Des.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Heard those a few times. They just sounded wrong to me, badly coloured and inaccurate.
    Not heard them myself , so I don’t know, but they seemed to fit what he was looking for.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethelcat View Post
    Teehee...wholly agree with big speakers for big bass but doesn’t necessarily need 15”

My Genesis Technology 201s are most capable
    They're most certainly NOT small though!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Hi AOS

I have 3 options at the moment:

So it looks like I can get Altec Valencia from Italy for 2,100 Euro including delivery, but excluding import and VAT. I had a video call with the seller. All seems in order. I guess I need to budget 30% more for import duties and VAT when coming into the UK. So a bit over budget, but am tempted.

There are a pair of tannoys in new cabinets I like the look of on Ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294051425014

Plus some Altec 605A in new but original spec cabinets on Ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402416534318

What do you think will be best for my 8x8x2.4 m hard surfaced room? Or should I sit tight and wait...

Many thanks.
    Hehe those GRF replica cabs are my first ever effort! Mitred corners.
    They are actually 21mm Scandinavian birch plywood and a 21+24mm front baffle.
    They are indeed 3828 ceramic magnet drivers.
    I re-surrounded the foam.

I also had HPDs in them for a while.

I'd forgotten I double panelled the rear, but yep, remember that now too.

I have a picture of my young daughter sitting inside the mitre joined sides during construction. Happy days.

I sold them years ago after making my mself a pair of curved top and bottom ones for the HPDs.

The room you have would love my 5 way horn system. Raal tweeters, Vitavox S2s Le Clčac'h upper mid horns, JBL driver tractrix mid horns, 12" mid bass exponential and 15" sub tapped horns.
    Horns do incredible deep & fast bass but need to be tapped or something like Lab12 sub cabs or 15-20m long.
    Moved on a lot since conicals and Scalford show.
    Le Clčac'h profile horns on the upper mid are divine.

Not for sale though

System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Nick.

Amazing. looks like something from Terry Gilliam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast