+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD Shure M55E cartridge styli or not

I'm Chris.

Default WTD Shure M55E cartridge styli or not

As title I'm after a Shure M55E cartridge. Not too bothered about the stylus condition or presence even. USA made would be good.

Having been messed around by the seller and disappointed by the condition of one I bought on eBay, I'm hoping someone on here has one lurking.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Think I may have a new one somewhere but I also suspect that it may be a "mexico" one.

I will have a look tomorrow Chris.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm James.

Great cartridge this Chris and I was only discussing it with a couple of folk last night. I have been a big fan of the M55e and have used it with a number of stylus. First a cheap replacement standard stylus, then a NOS standard stylus which sounded very good. I then moved on to a Jico SAS with boron cantilever and this was seriously good probably up there with my 2M black.
    However I now run an M55E with a Jico n55e improved replacement stylus which is excellent and sounds better than the NOS Shure stylus.

You will no doubt find one soon although the good ones which are USA manufactured are getting harder to come by and the body alone fetches upwards of £50 and they are increasing in price.
    I do recommend whatever you get maybe try the Jico stylus as it really sounds excellent, I have copied a link below but expect to pay £80 including import duties!

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/n55e-improved/

I'm Chris.

Thanks all.

Andy - that would be great if you could check anyway.

Jim - yeah that echoes the sentiments of what I've been hearing. There is one for sale with one of those Jico's ("hardly used") already for just over a ton which considering the price of needle/cart seems okay. IF it is indeed "hardly used" . . . .

Cheers
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Just bought the M55e with Jico stylus for a ton as advertised.

Here's hoping its in better nick than the last one I 'chanced' off the bay . . . .

Thanks for the replies anyway guys.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Thanks all.

Andy - that would be great if you could check anyway.

Jim - yeah that echoes the sentiments of what I've been hearing. There is one for sale with one of those Jico's ("hardly used") already for just over a ton which considering the price of needle/cart seems okay. IF it is indeed "hardly used" . . . .

Cheers
    If its got a Jico stylus in then that sounds reasonable as they are £80 to get into this country so with aM55E body that sounds a fair price as long as it is "Hardly used"

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    If its got a Jico stylus in then that sounds reasonable as they are £80 to get into this country so with aM55E body that sounds a fair price as long as it is "Hardly used"
    Tis always the risk Jim! Oh well I've taken a leap of faith. As I did with the 270c cartridge which proved its worth (in a Last Crusade way . . . )

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Tis always the risk Jim! Oh well I've taken a leap of faith. As I did with the 270c cartridge which proved its worth (in a Last Crusade way . . . )
    The M55e is a great analogue tool from the days when vinyl was king and there was a lot of competition.

I'm Grant.

preferred mine with an original shure stylus personally although it easy to hear what is likeable with a sas /jico type tip
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast