+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Major sound upgrade

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    maybe he was high when listening
    And liked a bit of Lionel Ritchie (Oh-oh what a feeling, I got speakers in the ceiling)
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    There was a beautiful Ferrari 512BB sat near the entrance with a barrier round it and the window half down.
    The 512TR was, and still is, my favourite Ferrari of all time. I just love the 'modified' Testarossa looks. Quite quick at 192mph too. But of course, it's all about the noise and sense of occasion with these cars.

I'm charles.

@peterdh, Hi Peter there are a number of reasons the tweeter is sometimes mounted below the midbass unit. Let's look at one of them, addressing your reasoning on this. Consider the distance between your ears! As part of your survival system that difference allows you to accurately locate the position of a possible threat, say a twig or branch being broken in a tree. The tiny delta provides both the azimuth and declination of that sound or threat.

Music is all about timing and is one of the reasons why room treatment makes such a huge improvement in sound. When the sound is prevented from chaotically banging around and taking too long to decay the ear/brain relationship can now better distinguish the spatial clues.

I'm Simon.

I thought that was a Toyota MR2..

Got my new subwoofer woofing very nicely, less connections to mess up .... 😀

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I found this on the Mission website, it's not quite what I thought.

In traditional Mission style, the standmount LX-1 and LX2’s tweeter is positioned below the mid/bass drive unit, in order to aid time-alignment. By placing the treble unit lower than ear level, the path length from the treble unit to the listener is longer than that of the mid/bass unit. As the treble unit dome is physically forward of the mid/bass unit cone, the difference in path length helps to equalise the acoustic distance.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    It's true. The same reason why some designers put a step in the baffle or slant it. It makes it easier to achieve good phase alignment thoughout the crossover, without having to use complicated delay circuits or extreme asymmetric crossovers.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by BultyBoy View Post
    I thought that was a Toyota MR2..
    It was the 355 that became a 'kit' for the MR2.

I'm Peter.

The B&W DM2 are built upside down (bass on top then tweeter then supertweeter at the bottom), but they were originally sold with a metal "armchair" that tilted the speakers back so they fired at an angle towards the ceiling. Unfortunately, my stands are missing.
    I also have a pair of B&O redstripe speakers that sit on the floor with a metal stand to let them angle upwards. The sound appears to come from about 4 foot off the floor. I sit within 8 feet of the speakers when I listen. I cannot remember which way up the drivers are though.
    1984 was a warning - Not an instruction manual

I like (things) in brackets

I'm Dave.

I used to have a pair of Mission 751s: I always assumed the reason for the tweeter being below ear level was that this configuration took away some of its harshness.

I'm Geoff.

Having the tweeter below the main driver was largely a fashion thing at the time I think, although there can be sensible reasons to do this. It can help ameliorate the effects of poorer quality tweeters and sometimes does have time alignment benefits. There are other tricks that can seem to benefit the sound, have you noticed that speakers with backward sloping baffles seem well received? Reference 3a and Spica spring to mind, amongst others.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

[QUOTE=Filterlab;1258862]The 512TR was, and still is, my favourite Ferrari of all time. I just love the 'modified' Testarossa looks. Quite quick at 192mph too. But of course, it's all about the noise and sense of occasion with these cars.

Still looking good. Nice photos.
    My other 512 story is........ when I was growing up in the South East I used to cycle round the posh villages with my camera looking for sports cars.
    If I found one on a driveway I'd swallow hard, knock the door and ask if I could take pictures in exchange for washing the motor. Most folks were very friendly and I made sure I did a good job. A few took me out for a spin.
    The 512 in question was a beautiful metallic powder blue. The guy who opened the door looked a bit nervous but said ok to the fotos, no wash required, but "be quick before my wife notices".
    I laughed, thinking he was joking. 30 seconds later I was threatened with a garden rake.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast