+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Major sound upgrade

I'm Lawrence.

I found this on the Mission website, it's not quite what I thought.

In traditional Mission style, the standmount LX-1 and LX2’s tweeter is positioned below the mid/bass drive unit, in order to aid time-alignment. By placing the treble unit lower than ear level, the path length from the treble unit to the listener is longer than that of the mid/bass unit. As the treble unit dome is physically forward of the mid/bass unit cone, the difference in path length helps to equalise the acoustic distance.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I found this on the Mission website, it's not quite what I thought.

In traditional Mission style, the standmount LX-1 and LX2’s tweeter is positioned below the mid/bass drive unit, in order to aid time-alignment. By placing the treble unit lower than ear level, the path length from the treble unit to the listener is longer than that of the mid/bass unit. As the treble unit dome is physically forward of the mid/bass unit cone, the difference in path length helps to equalise the acoustic distance.

It all sounds like a right load of tosh, or maybe it's just me being thick - it's making assumptions about stand height, seat height, how tall the listener is, and how gullible too.

My step dad used to have a pair of these Missions, which he had on wall brackets high up on the wall, probably undoing all of Mission's R&D
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That reminds me of a chump I used to work with. His mate has in-ceiling speakers and they were apparently the best speakers in the world.

I asked him if when he went to a concert the band were hanging from the ceiling of the stadium. He was completely stumped as to what I was talking about. Thick as two short planks that one.

I'm Grant.

maybe he was high when listening
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    That reminds me of a chump I used to work with. His mate has in-ceiling speakers and they were apparently the best speakers in the world.

I asked him if when he went to a concert the band were hanging from the ceiling of the stadium. He was completely stumped as to what I was talking about. Thick as two short planks that one.
    Probably still better than that crappy PA at the NEC. That hangs from the ceiling. Don't know if they still have it, last went there in about '96 and swore never again. Totally soulless venue and shit sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    It all sounds like a right load of tosh, or maybe it's just me being thick - it's making assumptions about stand height, seat height, how tall the listener is, and how gullible too.

My step dad used to have a pair of these Missions, which he had on wall brackets high up on the wall, probably undoing all of Mission's R&D
    Most good speaker designers will make some assumptions about the listening position when they model the (three dimensional) polar response, I think Mission (and most) assume an ear height around the level of the top of the speakers.

I did read that when Kef designed the 104/2 the crossover was designed to make the image higher than the speakers. I assume this was done by making a slight phase difference between the top and bottom mid range cones. This was important as if you took the fronts off to refurbish them, putting the wires back the wrong way round would push the image towards the floor!

I'm Peter.

"In traditional Mission style, the standmount LX-1 and LX2’s tweeter is positioned below the mid/bass drive unit, in order to aid time-alignment. By placing the treble unit lower than ear level, the path length from the treble unit to the listener is longer than that of the mid/bass unit. As the treble unit dome is physically forward of the mid/bass unit cone, the difference in path length helps to equalise the acoustic distance".

I am not persuaded by that explanation. Even if the treble unit is lower than ear level the path length from the tweeter to the ear can only be a metter of a few 10s of millimitres longer than that of the sound from the mid/bass unit at most in a domestic setting. Given the speed of sound in air is about 340m/s, even if the listener is seated 10m away from the speaker the time difference between sound leaving the treble unit versus sound leaving the mid/bass unit is going to be miniscule - measurable but I would doubt detectable to the human ear in a domestic setting. I understand the theory but in a domestic setting I would be surprised if placing the units in the way set out would make any real difference. I suppose if the listener was sat at the back of the o2 arena and the speakers were on the stage there might be a discernable difference but otherwise...................

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Probably still better than that crappy PA at the NEC. That hangs from the ceiling. Don't know if they still have it, last went there in about '96 and swore never again. Totally soulless venue and shit sound.
    I remember it from the motor show days. Appalling sound; barely useable!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdh View Post
    "In traditional Mission style, the standmount LX-1 and LX2’s tweeter is positioned below the mid/bass drive unit, in order to aid time-alignment. By placing the treble unit lower than ear level, the path length from the treble unit to the listener is longer than that of the mid/bass unit. As the treble unit dome is physically forward of the mid/bass unit cone, the difference in path length helps to equalise the acoustic distance".

I am not persuaded by that explanation. Even if the treble unit is lower than ear level the path length from the tweeter to the ear can only be a metter of a few 10s of millimitres longer than that of the sound from the mid/bass unit at most in a domestic setting. Given the speed of sound in air is about 340m/s, even if the listener is seated 10m away from the speaker the time difference between sound leaving the treble unit versus sound leaving the mid/bass unit is going to be miniscule - measurable but I would doubt detectable to the human ear in a domestic setting. I understand the theory but in a domestic setting I would be surprised if placing the units in the way set out would make any real difference. I suppose if the listener was sat at the back of the o2 arena and the speakers were on the stage there might be a discernable difference but otherwise...................
    Actually short differences in arrival time are noticeable and can lead to a blurring or lack of focus on the image. The ear and brain are quite remarkable instruments.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I remember it from the motor show days. Appalling sound; barely useable!
    My old fella took me to the NEC motor show in the 80s. There was a beautiful Ferrari 512BB sat near the entrance with a barrier round it and the window half down. A young lady was offering onlookers a piece of paper and a pen and inviting us to write our name and address, fold the paper into an aeroplane and try and get it through the window to win the beast.
    It was hard. However, a guy down from me hit the target, went batsh1t crazy, only to watch as our hostess reached through, picked it up and added it to the sack of (I'm guessing) 500 other "winners". That sack was then returned to the pile of others.
    Still, got to be in it to win it I guess.......
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast