+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats better than an SME 3009 S11

I'm Mick.

Default Whats better than an SME 3009 S11

Hi All im thinking about a change from current arm an SME 3009 SII with detachable headshell.
    I have also noticed that the VTA changes quite a lot with differing record thicknesses.
    I like the adjustability of the SME but feel the sound is missing something.
    The replacement arm would sit on a DIY PLY plinth between a Garrard 301 series 1 and Linn Troika.

Looking for suggestions that wouldnt break the bank?

Mick

I'm Adam.

SME M2-9R... Fantastic arm
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agreed, the bearings are much better than those of the 3009/S2 II, though Linn fans would baulk at the thought of running a Troika in anything less than a Linn arm.

But if you are really concerned with the changes in VTA with record thickness, then you should be looking at a 12" arm, such as an SME M2-12R.
    Barry

I'm John.

Having temporarily run a 3009 S2 on my 401. I would say a low cost opon would be a Rega RB250/300 either will IMO easily out perform the SME, the 250 I now normally use (have a, Conqueror 3C fitted temporarily) is definitely better to my ears.
    I have hear a clear perspex block similar to the sme P1 that's drilled for Rega with 4x scew holes to match the sme baseplate (also have some hardbound onesl. Your welcome to it/them if you go down the Rega route.

I'm Mick.

Thankyou for the suggestions.
    I hadnt considered the M2 versions, the 9 looks to be a good arm with the 12 even better.
    They are both £££ and there dont seem to be many available, I believe the SME have stopped retailing their arms.

It just happens I have a RB300 in a draw that needs to be rewired, sounds like i need to fix it and give it a try.
    I have heard good things about the Conqueror and have seen a few for sale recently.

Thankyou John for the offer of the mating plate, when i built my plinth i made the arm section detachable it is screwed to the bottom of the plinth so i can remove it and the Arm easily.

So theres my plan formulated get some solid silver wire fitted to the arm and build a new arm pod.

In the mean time if im really lucky somthing really nice will turn up for sale at the right price.

I'm Grant.

quite liked the 3009 s2 imp.. a good arm that can do a lot more than "stats" say it can. ive never had an issue with mine, when i did, i got marco to adjust it.. worked with lots of different carts too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

The Conqueror normally lives, on, my Brinkmann Bardo, but it's currently got a noisy motor bearing so is off on a trip to Germany to get it sorted, and yes the Conqueror is a, bloody good arm and sounds stunning with a Hana ML on the end of it.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You could pick up a Mission 774 pretty cheaply, they are great arms, used one on my 401.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

But don't bother with the 774LC, they're nowhere near as good as the 774.

+ Reply to Thread