+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 mk 2- Restoration and Upgrade project

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great project Andy and I am particularly interested in this one because this was my first serious turntable! Can I ask where you got the heavy birch ply from as I am looking for some myself for another project.
    Nowadays if you can't get what you need from B&Q or Wickes try ebay

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    It looks like we have hit the same mail impasse, my deck is stripped, cleaned and ready for the new parts, like you i've opted for new springs and once completed i'll do a side by side test with my other TD160 which has original springs. instead of like for like spring replacements i've gone for the Griffon https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THORENS-G...gAAOSwVJJfBss8 springs which have been recommended to me not only to replace tired springs but also improve on new like for like equivalents
    That sounds excellent. I went with these guys https://vinylnirvana.com/product-category/thorens-part they claim to do pretty much the same as yours from Denmark. I don't have the luxury of another TD160 to compare but I have heard several TD160's so have a rough idea of what to expect. I'm now looking into the effects of the mass of the rubber mats as it appears a specific weight may improve platter speed stability. My deck now runs at 33.5rpm initially it ran at 33.8 rpm (1.48% faster), now it's 0.6% faster. I think I can get this down further still with suspension tweaks. More later.....
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Speed control on these old decks is where i think the greatest improvements are to be had, relying on mains frequency to control your motor speed as we all know isn't the best plan, ProJect used to make a turntable PSU that could not only run a 230V ac motor but also output a variable frequency range so that fine tuning became possible as well as 33 to 45 electronic speed change, for some reason they aren't available anymore, a company called Heed make something similar but i don't think it has a display to show output frequency and i'm not sure if any fine adjustment of the generated frequency is possible

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great project Andy and I am particularly interested in this one because this was my first serious turntable! Can I ask where you got the heavy birch ply from as I am looking for some myself for another project.
    Wickes is best for me. It's not only cheaper but the quality is better, others seem to be quite shoddy. I'm also experimenting with Bamboo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Speed control on these old decks is where i think the greatest improvements are to be had, relying on mains frequency to control your motor speed as we all know isn't the best plan, ProJect used to make a turntable PSU that could not only run a 230V ac motor but also output a variable frequency range so that fine tuning became possible as well as 33 to 45 electronic speed change, for some reason they aren't available anymore, a company called Heed make something similar but i don't think it has a display to show output frequency and i'm not sure if any fine adjustment of the generated frequency is possible
    I've a power regenerator at home, it would be interesting to see if this helps out, I'm quite sceptical and don't think it'll make a jot of difference. Still, that's an experiment for tonight.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

The flywheel effect from the weight of the Thorens platter and its peripheral mass are sufficient to keep speed variation low, at six one thousandths of one percent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Wonderful turntable and project. Hope all goes well for you and the Thorens.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The flywheel effect from the weight of the Thorens platter and its peripheral mass are sufficient to keep speed variation low, at six one thousandths of one percent.
    Geoff, that's a really interesting statement. Can you show me the maths please.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    but it doesn't help with a motor that's running a little fast or slow and this is where the ability to adjust the frequency is a great help

I'm Andrew.

Pt 6 - Productive day.

Hello friends. Another day another update. Today we received notification that the oil we commissioned for spindle and bearing lubrication has been formulated. I will also be offering this for sale from my Wakefield Turntables facebook page. And no it's not 3-in-1 oil badged up as something special! I've been researching baseboard materials and have found something that I'll be experimenting with over the next week or two and then I'll do further experiments with bitumen damping. I've ordered a bench polisher and enough polishing compounds to stock a small store. I'm hoping to have a nice polished platter and should be able to lightly polish the inner platter rim to remove old rubber belt residue and even the bearing spindle itself. I'll also be offering a platter polishing service if anyone is interested. More to follow....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

A bench polisher will certainly be quicker than Autosol

I have used a number of oils on my VPI bearing Andy and found fully synthetic oil pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast