+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 mk 2- Restoration and Upgrade project

I'm Mike.

At the moment I’m just waiting for the new top plate to arrive, I’ve done all the cleaning, damping upgrades, electrics etc. So now I’m just assessing the new and old springs to see if there’s any difference, I’ll have a few listening sessions and base my choice on what sounds best, I’m not expecting night and day between them, but I’ve got a week before the new top plate arrives to make my mind up. One thing I must say is the Audiomods arm and Audio Technica Art9 cart sound absolutely fab on this deck very wide soundstage, instruments and voices can be located with pin point accuracy but not clinical or sterile in any way, very enjoyable indeed!!

[IMG]Untitled by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Jac Hawk; 19-03-2021 at 16:25.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm James.

I think the finished article is going to look very nice indeed Mike.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Mike.

A quick update, i've done a lot of listening over the last week and have decided to go with the new springs, they give a slightly better sound, the bass is a bit tighter and aren't so easily upset by foot fall, it's not night and day like most thing at this level differences are subtle.

i'm still waiting on the new top plate to arrive, when it does i'll need to take the deck apart again so i can fit it, this will give me an opportunity to take some more photos and what i'll do is post a reply here detailing parts and replacements including sizes, techniques and proceedures followed with photos so that anyone else the feels the urge can follow them and referb for themselves one of these classic decks.

I'm Andrew.

Pt 18 - Brick wall....

The TD160 will temporarily be housed in the old black plinth. So, I have had a little time to take some pictures and post here tonight. The TD160 is now up to "Super" spec. The base board still needs a little work and some feet fitting but that's hardly rocket science! As you can see the platter has been polished and it matches the rather natty top plate which I have installed. The mat is an original TD160 super but it had a little damage in that it had a few cuts around the spindle hole, I've repaired these and fitted a new disc in the middle of the mat to hide the repair. Finding a NOS TD160 mat is both time consuming and very costly so the repaired sourced version looks just as good. I also redid the wiring loom today in that I completely stripped out the wiring and re-soldered everything. The deck spins a little fast at 33.4rpm but is completely silent. The caps and resistors were completely in tolerance so were left alone.

Here we can see that the deck is now "super" status.

A not so good picture showing the deck ~90% finished.

Slightly out of phase but here's a random photo of the wiring loom cleaned up

Nip over to my facebook www.facebook.com/wakefieldaudio page to see a couple of videos of the deck and the motor being re-worked.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Charlie.

That mat looks very much like the one used on the Lenco GL75, if so might be easier/cheaper to find replacements?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    That mat looks very much like the one used on the Lenco GL75, if so might be easier/cheaper to find replacements?
    It looks like a Lenco mat. They are a bit heavier than the Thorens mat, so certainly worth using.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Looks fantastic Andrew, love that top plate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Mike.

Thorens made a few different mats, on my other deck I have the one with the metal 45 puck in the centre, however on the new deck I’ve tried a 3mm leather mat, lots of people seem to rate them on TD160’s and I must admit the one I’m using is doing a fine job

I'm James.

Wow that ids going to be a special looking TD160 Super Andy.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Guy's I think you could be correct, I just found this.

thorens-td160.jpg

No wonder the mat was reasonably priced. Looks like it's going back for a refund.

Thanks for spotting, saved some embarrassment.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast