+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 mk 2- Restoration and Upgrade project

I'm Andrew.

The oil is specifically for Thorens and Garrards. I'll be posting some more pictures soon when I've made some more progress
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

You do know that Thorens themselves recommend 3 in 1

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    You do know that Thorens themselves recommend 3 in 1
    Yes. But I'm happy with what we have produced.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Bruce.

Rexton,

You have mentioned a few things that I am intrigued by and would like to experiment a bit.

Leaving the base board off - what is the difference that you would expect that to make?

Also, damping, how does this affect things?

Are there threads on this or published books? Understanding these changes and other small adjustments is something I would like to learn and experiment a bit.

I have a GL59 that I just acquired, plus the TD 160, so interested right now on these improvements.

Thanks for the posts!

I'm Andrew.

Hi Bruce, my name's Andrew! Leaving the base board off is purely a choice thing but the percieved wisdom is to improve the base board with materials with better damping properties. Damping helps to control resonance. Resonance can have significant effect on vinyl replay. This is a very large subject and I would highly recommend having a good read around the subject to get a grasp of what's been discussed. A simple google search or a search on the various forums should help you in your quest.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Pt 7 - Go on then just a quickie before bedtime........

A few weekend developments for the clients TT. I got a package from Germany which meant better platter speed stability! Better than the already very good Thakker belt.

And just to prove the improvement...

The deck is now running 0.3% fast which is a result that I'm happy with. Things may improve with a little tweaking and bedding in. Finally I fabricated a new tonearm board so the client can have any tonearm installed.

This picture shows the really rubbish feet that Thorens supplied with the TD160, we can do better than this! This week will hopefully be baseboard and new feet and then hopefully the new springs should show up at some point. Until next time....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Those feet look as good as I had on my Lenco GL75.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Those feet look as good as I had on my Lenco GL75.
    They aren't great that's for sure, but the plinth, feet and base board are where Thorens saved money back in the day, the important parts that aren't easy to make in your shed like the bearing are quality

I'm Mike.

Some of my weekend work:

[IMG]IMG_0057 by mike
    davis
    , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0058 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm Mike.

The new plinth in 28mm European Oak with an 18mm Birch ply base panel

[IMG]IMG_0059 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_0060 by mike davis, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Jac Hawk; 09-03-2021 at 10:25. Reason: inaccurate description

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast