+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD160 mk 2- Restoration and Upgrade project

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    Looking forward to the progress and maybe some tips as I have the same which I am soon to start.

I bought a new plate, one of those laser cut ones, the one I have was disfigured by the previous guardian. I have a new power board from vinyl passion and reclaimed oak for the plinth. It will be my first attempt at a refurb.

The only thing I am not sure of is how to polish up the platter or if I could get it plated somehow, I would be interested to know if you will be doing something with yours. Mine is just looking a bit dull and I want it to sparkle when its finished.

My lid is ok, but I bought a headlight polishing kit to get the best out of it.
    I'll be detailing everything on this thread and over on my facebook page. I'll be posting some pics in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    For the platter T Cut or Duraglit or any metal polish to be honest will work, it's a messy job though and when you're done polishing give the cleaned metal a polish with a good quality silicone car polish it will help to keep it shiny for longer.
    Yep, both of those work really well. I've used them both and I would say that you just have to try what works best for you.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt 2 - No progress tonight.

I've taken loads of pix but I'm out of time to post anything tonight (and too knackered)! I've been concentrating on the suspension. I've cured some motor knock, and ordered a new set of springs form the USA. I see lots of dodgy old spring sets on eBay and others use Linn springs as replacements. Both not good. My replacements are new, re-engineered replacements which come with new gromets. I will not be replacing the sponge in the springs. I don't really think it does much. More later in the week.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt 3 - Yep! 2 updates in a night.

Plinth measurements done and new Thorens TD160 belt ordered (yep it'S proper THORENS)!!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Pt 4 - Some pictures, at last.

Sorry guys, I've been a bit slack, but I have been working hard. Here are a few pictures of the latest restoration project.

My favourite part, the tear down. I've done quite a few 150's and 160's now and I never tire of just how great this design is.

This unit whilst in good cosmetic condition was quite grotty on the underside. TD160's have sprung suspension, not my favourite but still something which is fun. I have taken utmost care with the suspension on this unit. Everything has been cleaned and ultrasonically prepared. So to start with the top plate got some love and attention. Nearly 50 years of filth accumulated around the suspension pillars. Check out the crud!

And now cleaned up.

Motor pulley got a complete clean with isopropyl alcohol, now nice and clean.

Turntable earthing. This was pretty clean but it got another dose of isopropyl alcohol and the screw was firmly tightened to ensure good earthing.

Suspension chassis removed and cleaned. Note the extra clean areas (the three large circles) where the suspension grommets live. This was filthy and not that great if your concentrating on the suspension. EVERYTHING needs to be just so. Once I was happy I reinstalled the three main suspension grommets. The grommets were filthy but in excellent condition so these received a clean with warm soapy water which produced an excellent result.

And with the grommets installed.

Suspension pillars FILTHY, YUK

Then cleaned.

And then installed....

So there we have it. Lots of progress made, quite quickly. More next time around...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Excellent work Andrew. The recipient of this fully restored turntable can be sure it will be in ' as new ' condition when they get it back.

Great pictures BTW
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Brian, there is still a long way to go.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Pt 5 - Boredom update!

I always hate this part of a rebuild/restoration and that's when I have to wait for new parts to arrive, usually from far flung parts of the globe. New springs and grommets are coming from the US of A, and a new Thorens belt is coming from Germany. Fortunately I can order wood from the UK and I have found a place that is supplies some weird and wonderful varieties which should make for cool looking plinths. I've also started ordering parts and materials for the decks baseboard. Nothing too radical here very thick heavy birch ply with additional damping. I've made some new prototype feet which I'm assessing which will hopefully help with damping. I'm in the process of just getting parts together and then I'll start to looking into tweaks. Stay tuned because I have a few things planned which should hopefully lift the performance of these humble decks.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Charlie.

Once up and running it will be worth listening without a baseboard fitted ( if being used in a safe environment). I ran my 11X and Sondek without and preferred it. The Thorens might not respond in the same way but being another suspended design it's worth a try. Best of all it's a tweak that costs nothing.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Pt 5 - Boredom update!

I always hate this part of a rebuild/restoration and that's when I have to wait for new parts to arrive, usually from far flung parts of the globe. New springs and grommets are coming from the US of A, and a new Thorens belt is coming from Germany. Fortunately I can order wood from the UK and I have found a place that is supplies some weird and wonderful varieties which should make for cool looking plinths. I've also started ordering parts and materials for the decks baseboard. Nothing too radical here very thick heavy birch ply with additional damping. I've made some new prototype feet which I'm assessing which will hopefully help with damping. I'm in the process of just getting parts together and then I'll start to looking into tweaks. Stay tuned because I have a few things planned which should hopefully lift the performance of these humble decks.
    Great project Andy and I am particularly interested in this one because this was my first serious turntable! Can I ask where you got the heavy birch ply from as I am looking for some myself for another project.

I'm Mike.

It looks like we have hit the same mail impasse, my deck is stripped, cleaned and ready for the new parts, like you i've opted for new springs and once completed i'll do a side by side test with my other TD160 which has original springs. instead of like for like spring replacements i've gone for the Griffon https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THORENS-G...gAAOSwVJJfBss8 springs which have been recommended to me not only to replace tired springs but also improve on new like for like equivalents

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast