+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For Sale - Interesting 2 way speakers

I'm Rob.

@carpy nothing in my inbox

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    @carpy nothing in my inbox
    Rob - I suspect it is because carpy has probably pm'd ali, by mistake? Chris

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterD View Post
    These originally started out as Mark Baker of Origin Live’s first foray into speakers.

These were bought as prototypes many moons ago ,forgot I had them in my attic and during lockdown thought I’d give them a refresh and a bit of TLC.

Two way sealed enclosure using the Focal TC90K tweeter and Focal 5K013L midbass driver

Enclosure is lined with dedshete panels, internal cabling of Hitachi LC-OFC SSX to the woofer and Duelund silver foil in silk to the tweeter.

External Crossover built from a kit from Falcon Acoustics ages ago, again internally wired with Hitachi LC-OFC cable.

If you wish the crossover can be upgraded and it can accommodate the Jantzen 100 x 150mm PCB from HiFi Collective

Speaker cable is Hitachi LC-OFC SSX-104 with VDH screw on spades/bananas connecting from the crossover to Jantzen carbon jacket binding posts.

Cabinets are MDF and lower cavity filled with foam and sand, tweeter is sort of decoupled from the rest of the cab as its mounted on an aluminium plate, speakers sit on heavy duty outriggers.

Sprayed in what was originally satin black but I started polishing and they ended up high gloss piano black, not a bad DIY effort during lockdown.

Dimensions to follow once I've found the tape measure !

Difficult to price start with £475 with collection from Southampton.

When these speakers came up last weekend and I noticed Rob was also in Southampton I cheekily contacted him to see if he could help with some cartridge mounting fixings as a cartridge I acquired on this site from another seller had two sets of short screws but not the longer ones ( seller oversight no doubt). Rob said he could and that he would deliver on Sunday, which he did.
    So a weekend bump for his listing and to say Rob is a good fella to deal with!

I'm Rob.

Cheers Keith
    bump for these interesting speakers

I'm Rob.

Open to a p/x for an interesting tonearm or record cleaner cash either way

I'm Rob.

Tonearm sourced got a Moerch UP4 to play with therefore after possibly a cart in P/X

I'm Rob.

bump

I'm Chris.

If he's a Saints fan he needs a lift.
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

Just trying to understand a bit more about the conversion from 3 way to 2 way. I imagine the cabinet at the top was originally designed for the mid driver to hand over to the driver in the bottom set in a separate lower cabinet.

Could you explain what the changes are to make it a 2 way speaker? Just wondering as you say "what bass there is", so trying to work out what effect removing the bass driver will have had.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 15-04-2021 at 06:50.

I'm Rob.

Hi Lawrence
    A bass driver was mounted at the bottom in the speakers plinth not sure how the crossover was configured it was all hard wired and a mess.
    I think it may of acted as a sub.
    Falcon Acoustics at the time we’re selling a crossover for the Focal drivers as a kit hence the easy conversion to 2 way.
    If I get some time might measure them with REW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast