+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers - Identity unknown

I'm Bruce.

Default Speakers - Identity unknown

Hello,

I recently bought a GL59 for a project and it came with a few bits, namely a set of speakers which I am trying to identify.

First of all, the cabinets are nice and well made, condition is good. I took the drivers out and the tweeter looks to be an Isophon KK10. There are no makers markings, the mid range has "Made in Denmark". There was a small warranty card in with all the paperwork which is for Dalesford DS 2 but I cannot find any pictures of those, just the "D" type.

A bit of digging has revealed that the KK10 was used by a few British manufacturers but I have searched and cannot find anything that looks like them.

I am pleased with the sound and as I say, cabinets are good condition, so I will be hanging on to them for the time being.

Any help would be appreciated.
    2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    Cheers
    Bruce

I'm Geoff.

The mids are Peerless I think. Those tweeters look like the Isophon units Mordaunt Short used in the Pageant 2 and yes, those could be Dalesford bass drivers. Probably a nice combination, mid seventies I'd guess.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Some sort of kit speaker would be my guess. Drivers, port and xover supplied, you build the cabs. From before my time though. Mid/late 1970s.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Yes probably kit but the straws in the port make me wonder if it's an early Celef speaker, while the mids make me think of IMF. Worth a bit of digging I think.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Been doing some digging and learned something new!

Check out systems 4 and 5 from the Dalesford speaker design book. This looks like it might use a mix of the drivers between the two (not 100% sure about the midrange though).

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/fa...aker-book.html

I'm Martin.

I think you nailed it. Must be system 4 if that's a 10 inch bass unit.

Not surprised they are good, would cost bomb nowadays.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think you nailed it. Must be system 4 if that's a 10 inch bass unit.

Not surprised they are good, would cost bomb nowadays.
    I don't think so Martin. As you say, System 4 has a ten inch bass driver but the one in the photo here is definitely eight inch. Still likely to be a Dalesford design though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

You're right it's only an 8.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

I have one observation which is that mid unit must be good, the number of professionally built vintage speakers I've seen where the mid range is isolated from the bass by just a cardboard tube that looks like a large toilet roll is ridiculous. Ditto cardboard port tubes.

I'm Bruce.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I took the other one apart in case there was any markings inside but there is not.

It has the system 5 tweeter and mid but not the bass. I am not sure how they supplied the kits but this is no DIY cabinet, the finish is very high, has to be factory. The dimensions of the cabinets in the 3/4/5 do not match mine. Strange though that on the 5, two of the three drivers are a match.

Having read up on the Peerless, these are going to disintegrate if I touch the foam, not that I will but, I will get them renewed. There is a company called Audiofriends in the Netherlands which seem to do a good job but Ill try and find a UK company, now that we have import/export to consider...

I have been trying to fathom the logo on the crossover and it looks like an "E" and "F", now that I have viewed it the other way up.5.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast