+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Room measuring

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Default Room measuring

I have ordered a U-mik 1 which should be turning up today, as I fancy messing about measuring my room and see what's going on.

Will be a bit of a learning curve as I've never done anything like this before, so be prepared for some noobie questions when I can't work out to how to do anything

I have downloaded REW and I use J River. Will post screen shots of my progress.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Steve.

Will be interesting to see how you get on

Measuring and room correction on the sub bass channels has been fundamental to my setting up my system in two very different rooms.
    Also getting the crossover points right, which type of crossovers to use where and time aligning all 10 channels.

I have also measured the effect of system upgrades that I can hear.
    In terms of dB changes at certain frequencies, distortion and phase plot - changes in what you hear certainly show up.

I use Holmimpulse free sw and a calibrated mic with phantom pre amp in to the analogue input of my preamp.

I did use Jriver as steamer sw, but now use Qobuz hi-res, and Volumio / Kali reclocker over I2S.
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 06-02-2021 at 20:22.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Well the mic wasn't delivered yesterday, so not been able to take any measurements yet

I will be primarily focusing on how my subs integrate with my room and will be choosing 3 crossover points. I will first try 50Hz, 80Hz and 120Hz and take things from there.

I've been a bit dubious about using some form of DSP and maybe I'll give it a go but for now will just see what I can do passively.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Ian.

I run a couple of servo 15 on the av side with digital eq via rew and behringer 2496 but for the mains I prefer analogue eq via a klark teknik dn410 with rel s series on the speaker terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Will be interesting to see how you get on

Measuring and room correction on the sub bass channels has been fundamental to my setting up my system in two very different rooms.
    Also getting the crossover points right, which type of crossovers to use where and time aligning all 10 channels.

I have also measured the effect of system upgrades that I can hear.
    In terms of dB changes at certain frequencies, distortion and phase plot - changes in what you hear certainly show up.

I use Holmimpulse free sw and a calibrated mic with phantom pre amp in to the analogue input of my preamp.

I did use Jriver as steamer sw, but now use Qobuz hi-res, and Volumio / Kali reclocker over I2S.
    Wow, 10 channels! I can see why measuring and room correction is needed. Doesn't sound like you have a conventional system as such. Did it take you long to get everything as you wanted it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I run a couple of servo 15 on the av side with digital eq via rew and behringer 2496 but for the mains I prefer analogue eq via a klark teknik dn410 with rel s series on the speaker terminals.
    Nice subs Can be beasts when needed! I did look at the Behringer when my crossover packed up.Did you ever use the X-30 crossover unit with the servo's and if so, did you find the Behringer a step up?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Ian.

Ran servo 15 on the front for a long tine using x30 coss over on each channel but found a strata 3 in the speaker terminals worked better, ran a stadium for a while but too big. Now use the av processor crossover to pipe to the subs and a kramer switch on the mains to alternate between av and music, taken 20+ "years of experiment but generally very happy now

I'm Ian.

2496*only does eq no cross over, nothing wrong with with the x30 other than a lower limit if 50hz
    Ian

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Wow, 10 channels! I can see why measuring and room correction is needed. Doesn't sound like you have a conventional system as such. Did it take you long to get everything as you wanted it?
    Well it's 5 stereo channels but 10 drivers in all.
    i use a Najda DSP X/O / DAC to receive analogue or mostly these days streaming from Qobuz Hi-res. It controls the speakers. I apply DSP correction only to the bass channels - I don't find the other
    channels need it.
    I cut at 31Hz and 79Hz to remove boomy room modes.
    Never add dB to room correct. It sounds off if you do.
    Anything above 150Hz or so also affects the sound negatively in my experience.

Najda was a DIYaudio developed project. Unfortunately the designer is out of he loop now.
    Before that I used passive 2nd order crossovers on all channels, Zobel's and LPads to control the driver efficiency differences.
    I added amps for each channel and then went active.
    I dabbled with Behringer's DCX - needed 2 of them. It has a built in auto room correction system - not meant for Hifi imo.
    The sound benefits of removing Lpads, Zobel's and X/O components was great.
    The system has evolved a lot since then. Each attention to detail improvement giving reward (or it was put back as it was ).
    Last edited by Magna Audio; 08-02-2021 at 09:00.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Well it's 5 stereo channels but 10 drivers in all.
    i use a Najda DSP X/O / DAC to receive analogue or mostly these days streaming from Qobuz Hi-res. It controls the speakers. I apply DSP correction only to the bass channels - I don't find the other
    channels need it.
    I cut at 31Hz and 79Hz to remove boomy room modes.
    Never add dB to room correct. It sounds off if you do.
    Anything above 150Hz or so also affects the sound negatively in my experience.

Najda was a DIYaudio developed project. Unfortunately the designer is out of he loop now.
    Before that I used passive 2nd order crossovers on all channels, Zobel's and LPads to control the driver efficiency differences.
    I added amps for each channel and then went active.
    I dabbled with Behringer's DCX - needed 2 of them. It has a built in auto room correction system - not meant for Hifi imo.
    The sound benefits of removing Lpads, Zobel's and X/O components was great.
    The system has evolved a lot since then. Each attention to detail improvement giving reward (or it was put back as it was ).
    Ahh i see, all a bit out of my comfort zone but glad you've got it as you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    2496*only does eq no cross over, nothing wrong with with the x30 other than a lower limit if 50hz
    Ian
    I didn't realise you couldn't use the 2496 as crossovers! Glad i didn't buy one then ha.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

So i've received the Umik today and have taken a measurement of both speakers and subs from 20Hz to 22KHz.

The supplied cable is bit short of my seated position,so it's a couple of feet in front.

Looks like i have a few dips and a few peaks! Will see if moving things around a bit can help with that.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast