+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube rolling on EAT E-glo petite phono stage? Glued heat sinks

I'm Daniel.

Default Tube rolling on EAT E-glo petite phono stage? Glued heat sinks

Just got an EAT E-glo petite phono stage, an upgrade from a Vincent PHO701 with upgraded Telefunken ribbed plate 12AU7. The new one has a couple of 12AX7 tubes, and I was looking forward to experimenting with different tubes. I tried to find out what the stock tubes are, but my retailer did not know, and EAT has not replied yet (only a couple of days).

After opening it up, I notice that the tubes have heat sinks glued to them, they are cylindrical metal profiles with protruding lamellae. I cannot see any markings on the tubes, so have no idea what they might be. Additionally, I wonder how important those heat sinks are, and how to remove them safely without destroying the original tube.

It sounds quite a bit better right out of the box, more detailed, more defined soundstage. I got it with an upgraded power supply (Sbooster), so don't know how much that affects sound compared to standard wall wart. Adjustments of resistance and gain are easy and quick. I use it with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC* on a VPI Super Prime Scout and it sounds best so far with 65 db gain and 600 or 1200 Ohm. Looking forward to burning in the tubes a bit more. So far so very good. Just curious about the tube rolling aspect.
    Rotel 1572 - PearlAcoustics Sibelius SG - REL T9/I & arrow wireless | VPI Super Prime Scout, ADS - Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC*/Ortofon 2M black - E.A.T. E-glo petite | Marantz CD player | HoloAudio May DAC L2 | MacPro 2013 Roon server | TEAC V7000 | Tisbury passive preamp | Woo WA6 SE w/13EM7 & WE422- Grado RS2e, Dan Clark Ether 2 | iPhone 10 w/Flacbox - Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt - Etymotics ER4SR ER4XR

I'm Alan.

Valves don't need heatsinks, they run perfectly well without. Have you any picture of the valve and internals of the stage?

Just fit alternative 12AX7/ECC83 without heatsinks.

I'm Martin.

Don't the EAT have some overly priced tube dampers fitted to their stuff?
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Daniel.

Thanks for the quick replies. First image is the opened chassis, one tube in place, the other removed.

IMG_3584.jpg

These two pictures show the top and side view of the 12AX7 tube with the metal sleeve-y-thingy. In the top view, you can see the peach colored tacky stuff that holds the sleeve to the tube.
    IMG_3586.jpgIMG_3588.jpg

Could well be that this is a dampener to eliminate any microphonics. As it is made of metal and has all those fins, I thought it might be a heat sink. I agree, I have never heard of heat sinks with tubes, but I am certainly not a tube expert, so ask here. I thought that tube dampeners were more of a plastic thingy that easily slides on/off the tube.

Any idea how to safely remove the dampener from the tube so that I can see what tube is used in the stock configuration?
    Rotel 1572 - PearlAcoustics Sibelius SG - REL T9/I & arrow wireless | VPI Super Prime Scout, ADS - Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC*/Ortofon 2M black - E.A.T. E-glo petite | Marantz CD player | HoloAudio May DAC L2 | MacPro 2013 Roon server | TEAC V7000 | Tisbury passive preamp | Woo WA6 SE w/13EM7 & WE422- Grado RS2e, Dan Clark Ether 2 | iPhone 10 w/Flacbox - Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt - Etymotics ER4SR ER4XR

I'm Keith.

I'm Daniel.

Thanks for the link. No mention of glue in that document. Looks a bit on the snakier side of accessories. Still wonder what the stock tubes are, and I a bit worried of breaking the tube while trying to remove the dampener/cooler-thingy. Hopefully EAT will reply to my direct emails.

I'm Paul.

I have the all tube E-Glow Phono which is probably due a tube replacement. I assumed it was easy to remove the heat sinks? I ordered a set of four heatsinks a few weeks back for another amplifier, they are due to arrive any day soon. I'll let you know how to fit them and how easy it is to remove them as soon as I discover.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Paul.

I just read the HiFi + document in the link above and does mention some teflon strips that sit between the tube and the heatsink.
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Daniel.

If you look at the pictures, there is some chewing-gum-like material between the heat sink and the tube. That peach colored thing is certainly not a teflon strip. Still no word from EAT ...

I'm Paul.

Hi Exophile

My EAT tube coolers arrived today, here are the pictures but note the fixings appears different.

The WASP - The Doors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast