+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fidelity Audio Pre120 SE preamp

I'm Shaun.

Default Fidelity Audio Pre120 SE preamp

Change of Preamp:

Previous system - Denon DCD2500NE SACD/CD - Lightspeed LDR passive preamp - Usher R1.5 power amp - KEF R5 loudspeakers. Atlas Hyper asymetrical interconnects - Tellurium Q Blue loudspeaker cables.

Lightspeed LDR to Fidelity Audio Pre120 SE.

High Frequencies.
    Much more restrained and natural sounding removing completely the hardness and aggression of the LDR. More delicate cymbal sounds with recorded voice much more forward sounding. On albums such as Brand New Heavies from 1992, a bright sounding album, the Pre120 allows a much more acceptable sound with very little fatigue when listening.

Mid Frequencies.
    So much better than the LDR preamp. Wider stereo image, much more realistic vocals and way more detail. All voice sounds are now more natural and realistic. A definite upgrade.

Low Frequencies.
    Far better bass definition than with the LDR losing the horrible thumpy bass drum sounds that I used to have. Low synth bass still feels as though it may cause structural damage but there is so much more quality to it. Softer I'd say than the LDR but more acceptable to me. On the Yola SACD by Eleanor McEvoy the bass is astonishing especially on track one where it is so powerful and extended. Lovely album and now lovely sounding.

Conclusion, brilliant, for me a genuine improvement. I paid £172 used for an item that should be £600.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 24-02-2021 at 16:39. Reason: Edit

+ Reply to Thread