+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Somehting for those looking for a cheap start in streaming

I'm Andrew.

Default Somehting for those looking for a cheap start in streaming

While looking at some issues I have with an SSD attached to my Logitech Media Server I cam across a thread announcing this product on the Slim Server Forum (in 3rd Party Hardware) . Read a bit of it and this would seem to be a nice little ready built box that will act as your streamer if you use LMS and plug in to your analogue hifi via standard RCA sockets. It seems to be an LMS answer to Chromecast and while not quite as cheap as that unit for £55 with free shipping for pre orders still looks like quite a bargain for all those just wanting to dip their toes in streaming and not spend lots . Please note this is a very basic unit and as they are only just starting to be delivered i have no idea what they will sound like. A full read of the thread shows that the developers are quite passionate and interested in getting good quality sound and giving back something to the LMS community . Please also be aware for this to be of any use then you need to be using a Media Server that is based on LMS and at least SqueezeLite compatable . Best option would be LMS but I think Volumio would also work .

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/DAC32_St..._20929663.aspx

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...music-streamer

I'm Edward.

This looks pretty nifty. Nice price. Just add some powered speakers and you can have a nice small system. Possibly could be used as a Roon end-point as well given the squeezebox functionality within Roon.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Andrew.

@Edward You may be right about the Roon use if Roon supports SqueezeLite otherwise it is doubtful .

Edit I shoulkd read my own links more carefully the only excuse I have is I am waiting for a cataract operation and currently unable to wear contact lenses so not able to use reading glasses and the font on the Vortex site is very small .

Yes you can use this little box as a Roon endpoint in two ways the first using Squeezebox implimentation in Roon will allow up to 96kHz playback . The second using Airplay will downsample any Hi Res to 48kHzor 44.1kHz depending on the frequency of the original file .

I'm Edward.

Roon provides some squeeze functionality but does not formally support it. It will be just a suck and see experiment.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

+ Reply to Thread