+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience of the RME ADI-2 DAC ?

I'm David.

Default Any experience of the RME ADI-2 DAC ?

Since upgrading my preamp I've decided that my CD source, the Oppo 95, is probably a weak link in my set up so I'm looking at upgrades.
    I got some great suggestions on here previously about replacing the Oppo with an Audiolab 6000 CD transport & Soncoz SDG1 DAC, and was ready to press the button.

However, I'm hoping this will be a Final Upgrade (no, really), so spent some time looking at DACs further up the chain sound quality-wise and do like the look of the RME ADI-2,but as I have so little understanding of DACs generally I'm not sure if the improvement over the Soncoz would be signinficant, if any.

If anyone would like to weigh in with thoughts/advice/opinion I'd be grateful.
    A deal breaker is that the DAC will need to have volume control.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Martin.

I wouldn't assume the RME has better sound quality - from a purely measurement point of view it's not actually as good as the Soncoz, although there's nothing much in it.

Doesn't necessarily mean they will sound identical but very unlikely to be a big difference. Although I think the RME has an NOS option that might give a slightly different take on things.

The RME more expensive because it is made in Germany instead of China and has many additional features over the Soncoz.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Chris.

Agree with Macca, when DAC's measure this well (upper end of available measurements) I doubt there would be much in it. I was in the same conundrum. As I don't need any of the additional features the RME offers it was just a case of price/value, where the Soncoz wins hands down. Also thought about offerings from Mytek/Benchmark and the Topping D90.

Now the SGD1 is in my system and I'm completely satisfied (and more) by it's performance. Some reviews have criticised ESS-Sabre DACs for being somewhat bright or thin but none of that here. It is vastly over engineered internally with quality separate power supplies for digital and analogue sections.

The "ESS hump" issue has also now been fixed on all new units.

For the performance the price is excellent.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I have an RME ADI-2 FS DAC (AK 4493) which has been in the system for a few weeks.

How do I put it? "End game DAC". That will do nicely. It comfortably destroyed my very solid and well engineered Leema, it comfortably annihilated three DACs I tested it against (all very much more expensive), and the bewildering array of features ensures it can be tailored perfectly to your system. If you have knowledge of studio DACs and DSPs this will be to your delight. If you don't then you can use a few (or none) of the features - but they ARE worth investigating, particularly the parametric EQ which can be used to remove artefacts of the room with ease. It's very subtle and remarkably flexible.

Sound wise it has an immediacy, weight and detail retrieval I've not experienced before, and I've experienced a lot of DACs. Completely focussed on the music. Not edgy, not brash, not 'digital'. I can't really say more than that.

It's a tiny unit which looks completely inoccuous, but it punches hard above its weight and that of DACs costing many times more. For the price you simply can't go wrong.

I'm Simon.

I'm going to buy the RME very soon. From what I read the differences to the Qutest are the square root of s*d all and it doesn't seem to need a separate power supply to perform as well.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Good move. The Qutest was one I tested against it.

I chose the RME.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Grant.

the dac in the vena 2 is very good. as is the one in my current amp. not saying they cant be bettered but overall they are as good as most and better than many
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

I have just moved on from a Topping D90 Sigma delta dac to one of the new R-2R dacs.

It is a Musician Pegasus dac and it annihilates the D90. There is more texture and depth with the rR2R. An experienced ear gave this report:

'We put on a track i know really well, Leo Kottke - From Spink to Correctionville (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShF7yjU7Jqk)

This is a great track to test for tone and realism, and seeing as he is picking and using a slide there is a lot of transient information, leading edges and decay. It's a tougher test than you may think.

The Pegasus passed this audition with consummate ease. The guitar had oodles of tone. Realistically balanced and demonstrated texture and dimensionality. The soundstage was rather vivid with A 3D quality that lit up the ESL's, The music flowed with ease and the changes in rhythm and timing were easy to follow. I have only really experienced with the Soekris, and in stock form, the Pegasus hit the Soekris for six. HOWZAAATT!

The transients were floating in the ether and decay was easily audible via the sustain on the notes or the resonance in the guitars body. Leading edges were quick, clean and the discharge of the force used to play the note was also easily audible. That's a hard one to explain but the note is loudest at it's start and thats what we heard. sensational stuff.'

If you don't need bells and whistles I can highly recommend it as an end game dac.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm David.

[QUOTE=Firebottle;1256248]I have just moved on from a Topping D90 Sigma delta dac to one of the new R-2R dacs.

It is a Musician Pegasus dac and it annihilates the D90.

Just taken a browse and it looks like a lovely piece of kit Alan, but no volume control from what I'm seeing and that's one of the requirements I have.
    Many thanks for the heads up though, and enjoy......
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    the dac in the vena 2 is very good. as is the one in my current amp. not saying they cant be bettered but overall they are as good as most and better than many
    Thanks Grant. My understanding of DACs is virtually non-existent but I think I'm looking for a dedicated DAC (if this makes sense) where your Vena seems to me to be an amp with a DAC ?
    If this is correct and as I have a pre and mono amps, maybe not quite what I'm after.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast