+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Common sense improvement after 6 years.

I'm Robin.

Default Common sense improvement after 6 years.

My turntable is powered from a presumably cheap wall wart 24v which has always been plugged into the Musicworks distribution block along with the other stuff. Last week I removed it to a different wall socket. Result - better sound from the rest of the gear. Why didn’t I twig that these transformers Chuck muck into the mains - I should know better. Is seems that Clearaudio do a upgraded power supply for the turntable but at 2K I’ll give it a miss....
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by doodoos View Post
    My turntable is powered from a presumably cheap wall wart 24v which has always been plugged into the Musicworks distribution block along with the other stuff. Last week I removed it to a different wall socket. Result - better sound from the rest of the gear. Why didn’t I twig that these transformers Chuck muck into the mains - I should know better. Is seems that Clearaudio do a upgraded power supply for the turntable but at 2K I’ll give it a miss....
    I'm sure there's no shortage of sources for much better power supplies... Probably from about 10% of the price of the Clearaudio one... all a big improvement I'd think on a wall wart.!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Pete

Micro Seiki DD40/MA505/Denon DL304
    Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
    Musical Fidelity X-A200R
    ATC scm11

I'm Phil.

Indeed, plenty of 24v PSUs available. I've always found TTs to be very responsive to power supply upgrades - systemdek, Gyro, Gyro SE, Gyro again, Technics 1210, turbo-charged* Thorens 150.

*not literally, obvs

I'm guy.

a lot cheaper:
    https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/filte...ga-turntables/

or eBay for linear supplies from China at about £80?
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    a lot cheaper:
    https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/filte...ga-turntables/

or eBay for linear supplies from China at about £80?
    Thanks for the link. I see MCRU do a unit for the Clearaudio turntable with the correct connector for £650.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

+ Reply to Thread