+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue MM fun

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Sweet little rock'n'roller

My Pickering XSV/4000 with D4000 stylus.

Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    My Pickering XSV/4000 with D4000 stylus.

Lovely cartridge there - possibly a little too much filter?!?! Looks like its being beamed up by Montgomery Scott!

I've got a Pickering XV15 with Stanton 890e stylus 2 on the way. Prob not quite as nice as yours, but I have high hopes for it!
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Chris.

Shure M55e report . . . .

So I mounted my newly acquired M55e last night. Not the easiest to line up as the stylus guard on the Jico stylus gets in the way a bit and distorts your view of the stylus tip and cartridge body.

Anyway after some faffing about I got it fairly close to perfect channel balance after which just slight loosening and re-tightening of headshell screws can (after some experimentation) really 'dial in' the sweet spot.

Put on some of my go to records, kapow! Christ this thing is LOUD, possibly the Jico stylus gives it a little more oomph but it was way more than I was expecting having just swapped out a cartridge with very similar output. It tracks like an absolute demon, nothing has even gotten close to phasing it so far. Can't really detect any distortion either and its via a tube phono stage plus I use a tube pre-amp, so any grain becomes fairly obvious.

Sounding very accomplished too. Textured, layered but with good detail and instrument placement. I had my 390pf loading plugs in so just for fun I tried some 330's. Things improved further and there was now real nuance and realism to the music.

I guess I'm probably around 470-500pf in loading capacitance. Some have suggested going up above that, but as my system is very revealing bordering on bright with some material (although I run dual subwoofers!) it seems to sound best with the cart giving a slightly more 'dark' presentation.

Great stuff anyway, a definite keeper. Think I can stretch to a new Jico stylus once every year or so too no concerns putting many, many miles on it.

Thanks all for the recommendations, I know why this cart is so well regarded now, it gets out the way and really allows the music through. Does quiet and loud well (surprisingly dynamic) which is a difficult trick to pull off whilst being an excellent tracker, I can't really fault it!

Here she is:

- Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm James.

Woohoo congratulations Chris that looks great! I must pop mine back on the VPI soon!

If you have a new Jico stylus in the M55e at the moment it will get quite a bit better after 50 hours or so.

I'm Andrew.

Told you so, it's an excellent cart. 450-500pf sounds about spot on. My advice would be to buy the best JICO you can afford for even more of what you've just described.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

If you pop in the Jico SAS stylus the M55e moves to another level altogether!

I'm Brian.

That looks like this Jico stylus https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/n55e-improved/

I have the slightly cheaper one and it's excellent.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That looks like this Jico stylus https://www.jico-stylus.com/product/n55e-improved/

I have the slightly cheaper one and it's excellent.
    Yes sir, that's the one.

The price/performance ratio is spot on for me. With an SAS my mind would be conscious of putting hours on it . . . . but never say never.

I'm Brian.

Aye, the SAS is a bit more than I want to spend too Chris. The Audio Technica LP5X has been on my radar for a while. I've never had a direct drive T/T in my system and would love to try one.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    The Audio Technica LP5X has been on my radar for a while. I've never had a direct drive T/T in my system and would love to try one.
    If bang for buck is the goal, you cannot go wrong with the AT. New one also has moved the power supply to an external unit giving the possibility to upgrade it further with a low noise (iFi type) or a full on linear supply.

Moving the transformer out of the turntable will only yield positives over the original me thinks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast