+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Analogue MM fun

I'm Chris.

Hi Brian,

I've had success with a few different models. Very much dependant on the cartridge you're running of course in order to maintain the best compliance (combined total weight of headshell/cartridge/tonearm).

If you're sticking with the same Audio Technica carts I believe the standard headshell is pretty much the best match. I've tried a few but anything between 7-9g seems to be about right.

Personally I also quite like the Ortofon SH4's, they are a tiny bit heavier but still work well and look very nice.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORTOFON-S....m46890.l49292

For some of my other carts I also use this generic machined aluminium headshell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Machi....m46890.l49292

Lastly these are also very decent for the price, work well if you have a slightly heavier cart as they themselves are so light.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tonar-319....m46890.l49292

Not a huge amount sonically between them although some just sound better with certain carts.

More a matter of aesthetics but fun trying different ones anyway.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Brian.

Thanks for the very detailed answer Chris, it's much appreciated.

Thing is, we seem to have a similar taste in cartridges, owning both an AT95EX and a Shure M55E fitted with a Jico stylus.

I'm afraid I'm a bit cack-handed and would rather mount each cartridge on it's own headshell to save me breaking leads or worse.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Chris.

No problem Brian, the M55 works really well with the CNC machined one I referenced, it seems to like a slightly heavier headshell.

I have my AT95EX in the Ortofon and it sounds great to me. Once I have a cart mounted in a headshell and aligned etc I don't want to fiddle with it either so know what you mean.

For me the LP5 and these kind of carts represent a really good price/performance area where I'm happy to spend the money on them and use them daily without worrying about wearing through styli or replacing other parts.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Brian.

Yup agreed Chris. This is my first direct drive turntable and I'm really happy with the LP5X

I will be following your recommendations and ordering the headshells. Thanks again.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm keith.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    My Pickering XSV/4000 with D4000 stylus.

I've got the lower xsv3000 and D3000 .

When compared against an epc p205mk3 the 3000 was certainly not out performed by the technics.

Chris, you wouldn't have been lucky enough to compare the 3000 and 4000 pickering's?

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hagzo View Post
    I've got the lower xsv3000 and D3000 .

When compared against an epc p205mk3 the 3000 was certainly not out performed by the technics.

Chris, you wouldn't have been lucky enough to compare the 3000 and 4000 pickering's?

Keith
    Hi Keith sorry the only (and very new) experience I have is with a Pickering XV15 . . . . the pic above is not mine. I've heard only good things about the models you mention though.

My XV15 appears to have a slight suspension issue but from what I can hear does sound nice, when its not spitting with sibilance that is, a likely result of the suspension woes . . . . oh well, that's vintage kit for ya . . .

I'm keith.

My bad Chris!

Note to self: engage brain and don't try to reply to a forum while getting kids out the door in the morning.......home schooling is over you fool!!!

I re-read and noticed it was Johnny dodgem that posted the pic of his xsv4000 - hopefully he'll pick up.

I got a xsv3000 still attached to sony headshell that I bought from Yankville about 10 years back. I only took a serious look at it a couple of months ago when I switched it with an epc p205mk3. First listen to the xsv and I thought wow; that is very musical and a very different representational from the Japanese models that I typically use. I liked it so much that I had a quick look for higher models in the range (like the 4000) but they're thin on the ground, needles are few and far between and, like you said, the suspension on old stuff is a problem - this is definitely the case with the p205mk3. I have 2 that are nearly useless on account of collapsed suspension in the needles. Alhough I can use one by retro-fitting the needle from a epc100 mk1 to it. It fits ok and the body of the p205 works better than the epc100

Keith

I'm James.

Here is a very tasty MM cartridge with great dynamics and great sound.

ADM XLM Improved Mk2. This one was from Japan and mint but unfortunately sold now.

Last edited by Jimbo; 19-03-2021 at 07:43.

I'm James.

A nice pair! Both with NOS original stylus, yikes they were rough!

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Currently spinning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast