+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Analogue MM fun

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hagzo View Post
    My bad Chris!

Note to self: engage brain and don't try to reply to a forum while getting kids out the door in the morning.......home schooling is over you fool!!!

I re-read and noticed it was Johnny dodgem that posted the pic of his xsv4000 - hopefully he'll pick up.

I got a xsv3000 still attached to sony headshell that I bought from Yankville about 10 years back. I only took a serious look at it a couple of months ago when I switched it with an epc p205mk3. First listen to the xsv and I thought wow; that is very musical and a very different representational from the Japanese models that I typically use. I liked it so much that I had a quick look for higher models in the range (like the 4000) but they're thin on the ground, needles are few and far between and, like you said, the suspension on old stuff is a problem - this is definitely the case with the p205mk3. I have 2 that are nearly useless on account of collapsed suspension in the needles. Alhough I can use one by retro-fitting the needle from a epc100 mk1 to it. It fits ok and the body of the p205 works better than the epc100

Keith
    No worries Keith, easily done.

Luckily most days I get to 'escape' the house early doors for work before my two year old wakes up. Sometimes he catches me though and his mum cannot hide the glee on her face as she knows I'm now roped into help with the morning 'routine' . . . .

Apparently we're having another one . . . not sure why, self truculence in the utmost, gotta love em though. (Actually got to).

I've got another XV15 with stanton stylus (890e II) on the way as like I say there is something slightly wrong with the other one, although from the brief listening I did the top end (although sibilant on mine) was exceptionally sparkly and reached higher than most of my other carts. I would imagine the XSV series only further improve this sound signature.

Good to hear they out-perform some of the 205's as they are even harder to get hold of!

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    Currently spinning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Nice, heard a lot about ADC's too. Quite underrated by all accounts or perhaps less well known would be more accurate as there don't seem to be any less than glowing reports on them.

What headshell is that Geoff? Looks good.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Nice, heard a lot about ADC's too. Quite underrated by all accounts or perhaps less well known would be more accurate as there don't seem to be any less than glowing reports on them.

What headshell is that Geoff? Looks good.
    The ZLM is reputed to be one of the best MMs. The headshell is AT's 50th anniversary headshell.

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm James.

Not sure what the differences were between the XLM and ZLM series of ADC cartridges but the XLM improved mk2 (30 x 10-6cm/Dyne 1975, tip; Diasa elliptical)was one of the highest rated for MM performance and indeed sounded great in my system. Very powerful and focused sound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

They're not MMs though. They're IMs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They're not MMs though. They're IMs.
    Yes they are Induced magnet cartridges, similar to moving Iron so your are right geoff not technically a MM.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

I believe Soundsmith employ moving iron designs. The principle is also not that far removed from the moving armature type which Decca use.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes they are Induced magnet cartridges, similar to moving Iron so your are right geoff not technically a MM.
    I didn't know that, cheers.

Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm paul.

Shure Ultra 500 Jico sas stylus Martin Bastin body. Bought used and thought £500 was expensive at the time, but now they are going for a grand or more if you can find one. Ended any thoughts of mc carts.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345