+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for high fidelity but bass restricted speakers

I'm malcolm.

Default Recommendations for high fidelity but bass restricted speakers

Looking for recommendations for high fidelity but bass restricted speakers that I can use at times when I don't want to annoy neighbours but still have a moderate volume.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm matt.

Another option would be to find some speakers that sound good at low volumes - Certain Tannoys and electrostatics are a couple that spring to mind.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by willbewill View Post
    Looking for recommendations for high fidelity but bass restricted speakers that I can use at times when I don't want to annoy neighbours but still have a moderate volume.
    JR149's would get my recommendation, meeting your requirements.

I'm Phil.

Harbeth would be worth looking at for sure
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Some of the small stand mount B&Ws are superb, as are the Focals. Weighty enough to satisfy but not weighty enough to desatisfy next door.

I'm Geoff.

You didn't mention your budget Malcolm, but at a sensible price you could pick up a pair of Usher S520 speakers. They have attractive finishes and are beautifully made. Remarkably decent sound without overwhelming bass.

image upload websites
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Elac also make exceptional stand mounts. Breathtaking speed and clarity, and they look good too. Check out the BS 243s / 263s / 312s.

These are the 312s...

I'm malcolm.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

This is what I use at present:

Russell K Red 50s (the bottom ones) are my main speakers and on top are Well Tempered MM2 which are the ones that have to be beat for "quieter" listening, they do bass detail pretty well but without the power of the Red 50s and I can even put a bung in their rear ports if I want to really cut bass.

I'm Rob.

So the black speakers are red and the red black Not that it makes any difference to what I am about to say

I have been a Sub convert for many years. Some see them as the spawn of the devil but I have had many (you can pick them up at good prices on sites like Gumtree, Ebay etc) If you do decide to try one or two (yes, 2 or even 3) get one with variable phase not simply a switch 0 / 180degrees.

Placing is crucial but if it does done right and the volume and phasing are right for the room you should not be disappointed. I have found that the whole of the sound spectrum is enhanced and given more body.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    So the black speakers are red and the red black Not that it makes any difference to what I am about to say

I have been a Sub convert for many years. Some see them as the spawn of the devil but I have had many (you can pick them up at good prices on sites like Gumtree, Ebay etc) If you do decide to try one or two (yes, 2 or even 3) get one with variable phase not simply a switch 0 / 180degrees.

Placing is crucial but if it does done right and the volume and phasing are right for the room you should not be disappointed. I have found that the whole of the sound spectrum is enhanced and given more body.
    Hmmmm.... I'm trying to reduce bass
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast