+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New speakers any thoughts

I'm Martin.

Default New speakers any thoughts

Hi folks
    I'm considering getting some new speakers, not for any major reason, maybe just cos I can, Currently the set up is Cambridge CXNv2, Quad Artera CD/pre, Icon MB90 valve monoblocks, PMC LB1, and I have to say I like it very much. The speakers are on a room diagonal firing into a corner, one is standing if free space the other has it's rear close to a wall, it's not ideal but I'm not the only one in the house so it has to have a nod to normality and domestic harmony.

The LB1 was just about the second PMC design nearly 30 years ago and predates their entry into the domestic HiFi market so it's very much aimed at the professional user where it is exceptionally well thought of. I like them very much for their revealing quality, more than a nod to BBC monitoring thinking.and their precision. On the downside stereo placement is critical for the listener in which my room is a problem, the top could sparkle a bit more, bass is more than adequate at 35Hz although a bit lower would be better but I'm not into sub territory.

What to replace them with, my initial thought is the PMC 25.23i, a not dissimilar sound but with perhaps the benefit of technology development, able to produce adequate without overbearing volume and a slightly lower bottom end, and possibly a slightly less demanding placement. However for this amount of money I am not prepared to buy without a demo or consider alternatives. There are to my mind some personal preferences and choices that are given, rear ports are to be avoided, one speaker is ineveitably too close to a wall, I don't much like metal dome or ribbon tweeters which in the past I have found harsh and too bright but that may just be my prejudices. I am drawn to the BBC concept so Spendor or Harbeth is are obvious contenders but I don't want to pre judge so I would welcome any and all thoughts, even if they are do nothing.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm Martin.

I'd keep them. I don't rate their domestic speakers at all but the studio models are excellent.

Lack of sparkle might be the Icon amps. Their 'house sound' is a bit shut in IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

yeah, the icons are well rated and have enough power so inclined to think they are not a major issue. I dont know the speakers alas so no help other than they have a good rep.. Maybe try and get a home demo of some and see if you find any benefit.
    but if it sounds good to you, then i am inclined to say, leave well alone.. you might spend a lot and go backwards
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Ditto about keeping them. I had a minty pair of LB1 Signatures in cherry finish and still regret selling them.

I did not find the top lacked sparkle. Main amp I was using at the time was a Radford and a Quad 405 clone. Can't recall what pre I was using then. LB1 do need good stands also to bring out what they are capable of.

I migrated from the PMCs to Kudos and Tannoy. No regrets. Perhaps research those? And, like you, I would also shortlist Harbeth and Spendor. Ages ago I had Harbeths, something just right how Harbeths sing.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Steve.

If your room is a bit tricky, changing your speakers for ones with deeper bass may bring its own set of problems. Maybe try adding a decent sub (nothing too big, and quick enough to keep up with the music), which will enable you to tailor your bass. And it doesn't have to be intrusive - mine doubles as a handy pedestal for a rather ugly house plant, and at Christmas the tree goes on it A sub won't necessarily just give you deeper bass, it might change the way you hear the other frequencies

Others on here will know better than me, but I wonder if super tweeters could help with the top end?

This way you pretty much keep the original sound, which you seem to like. Try before you buy if possible.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm David.

Hi Martin, if you're looking for speakes with supertweeters as Pigmy suggests I'm a very happy listener of Neat Ultimatum XLS standmounts hooked up to a Croft Pre and Croft monoblocks. Bob at Neat sent a rep over for a home demo when I was shopping around. No hard sell. As I remember they were left with me for a few days.
    My room is approx 14ft by 9ft, so hard to put too much space around the back and outside edge of the speakers but no major issues with detail/soundstage/bass etc to my ears. Most of my listening is guitar rock, funk n soul and electronic dance/ambient.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the thoughts, concensus appears to be keep them, fair enough. I have only had the Icons for a month so its a bit unfair to judge them this soon, I could easily put the Quad Artera back in for a bit. In truth the Icon monoblocks were a whim cos I fancied trying some valve kit, definitely rounds the sound pleasantly I feel, but. Nothings going to be perfect so perhaps I shouldn't overthink it. I'll ponder this some more.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm Pete.

Hi Martin

I may be the only person in the forum to suggest a listen to the Proac D range, preferably with the "R" suffix - R for ribbon tweeter, a sweet and precise top end - but have to give them a mention as I am very happy with my pair of D20R's see https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/h...r=ResponseD20R

The port on these speakers fires down and out of each side at the bottom of the speaker meaning that they are a little less fussy about space than some speakers which seems to be 1 of your considerations.

Regards

Pete

I'm Martin.

After I left this three weeks ago I stumbled across a pair of PMC25.23i in new (ex demo) condition,which I was told had only about three hours use and at a price significantly less than rrp which would have been foolish to ignore. I didn't and bought them. They have been running in and after ten days the bottom end is expanding nicely and they have brought the open and airy top end I was looking for which is very pleasing and have perhaps quite importantly have also received a domestic thumbs up. I think when fully settled in they will be quite gorgeous. They are different sounding from the LB1s, by no means better or worse and the ears and brain do need to adjust to the different timbre, perhaps a bit less weight in the mids but better suited to the room.

Inevitably some thoughts turned to amps, the Icon MB90s are very nice sounding but they are big, have manual biasing, and operationally are a bit of a minor pain because of my furniture. I looked at some alternatives and have been doing a lot of reading up on Primaluna power amps which rather appeal. They enjoy superlative reviews both here and in the US. It would be a choice between the 300 and 400, the 300 is preferable purely on the costs of rolling four brace of KT150s into the 400, £600 plus, ouch, but probably worth it for the SQ over the stock EL34s. My worry is that even with KT150 upgrades the 300 might lack adequate grunt to drive the speakers which are only 86.5db efficient. I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this.
    Regards
    Martin

+ Reply to Thread