+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RPi digi amp recommendations

I'm Martyn.

Default RPi digi amp recommendations

I've decided to install a small RPi solution in the bedroom for occasional use.

I have a lovely, currently unused, pair of Kef Coda 7 that are small enough that I should get away with it!!

I'm after a steer from all the RPi experts here who helped me get started last year. As always I'd like to spend the least possible to achieve acceptable sound, given it'll have light use and lowish volume.

I wondered about getting an RPi 4 and swapping that into my main lounge unit, then reusing the 3B+ in the bedroom. But is that worth it, will the Rpi4 "upgrade" what I currently get with the 3B+?

If not there's RPi 3A units around at under £30, would this be OK with an added Just Book DigiAmp HAT?

Are there other (cheaper?) DigiAmp options?

I'll mainly use to stream radio or Tidal HiFi into the Kefs.

I'd like to keep things neat, so a simple RPi unit makes sense I think, rather than attempt to get a small integrated amp past SWMBO.

Any guidance appreciated and if anyone has anything suitable they'd like to move on please drop me a note.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

What about a little TPA3116 amp from China? I and other members own them and they work and sound just fine. You should be able to find one plus suitable PSU for under £40 with a look on ebay depending on taxes etc. The Breeze Audio branded one is popular.

Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-H...EAAOSwEzxYTYKW
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

I use a pi3b+ with an IQAudio DACAmp+ in our Gazebo powering Polk Audio outdoor speakers and it works great. I use this amp hat because it powers the amp and the pi with only one PSU.

Does the job nicely for occasional background listening, but can also rock out when needed.

I use it with Picoreplayer installed as that installs to RAM and can survive switching the Pi on and off without corrupting Picoreplayer. It's only switched on when I need it.

Pi4 would only be an advantage of you used usb out for audio although there are reports of Pi4s sounding better than earlier models, but if not using USB audio out a Pi3 will do fine, just make sure you get a B+ for better software support.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What about a little TPA3116 amp from China? I and other members own them and they work and sound just fine. You should be able to find one plus suitable PSU for under £40 with a look on ebay depending on taxes etc. The Breeze Audio branded one is popular.

Like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-H...EAAOSwEzxYTYKW
    Thanks for this, just what I need.

Had a quick dig about on eBay and staggering what's available, under £20 delivered!!

This appears to be supplied with the PSU, but would it be better to buy one without and source a better PSU.

Given its light use I'm not so sure it's worth the effort and running the risk that I get one with the wrong pin size?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284173856033

Cheers

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I use one of these set on 12v with the blue pin/plug. Works fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/96W-100V-...8AAOSwmC9fc~O~
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread