+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Topping D30 PSU upgrade

I'm steve.

Default Topping D30 PSU upgrade

I was wondering if anyone had upgraded the standard SMPSU on the Topping D30 DAC to the Ifi noise cancelling PSU ? If so does it give a noticeable boost to the sound quality ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Dan.

Changing out the power supply can be a pretty good improvement. But not with the ifi. That at best is a sideways move, if that.
    Try to find a good linear power supply and lose the switching supplies behind.
    And no wall warts.

I'm Chris.

I have the ifi 5v "Low Noise" supply for my Topping E30.

It is actually better than most linear power supplies (surprising for a switching type) and I've tried a few.

No reason to think one for the D30 wouldn't yield improvements, ifi know what they're doing when it comes to electrical noise. I was dubious of any switching supply that could be quieter than a LPS but with the E30 it just works.

In general LPS will outperform lesser/cheaper types but sometimes products just work in harmony.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Ian.

I built a linear supply for my Topping D50 and I gained a worthwhile improvement in quality.
    Its probably a safe bet to assume that the wall wart supplied with most gear can be bettered.
    There is no doubt that as time progresses SMPS supplies are improving re the performance parameters for use with Audio and manufacturers are now frequently offering alternative SMPS power supplies. Its a nice cash cow for some.

My Benchmark DAC2 has a lovely little SMPS inside it.

I still prefer a well designed linear supply with low noise and output impedance, but its slowly becoming difficult to get these for a reasonable price.
    DIY is the easiest route for me but getting good components like mains transformers is becoming more difficult
    Farnell only sell a limited range compared to a few years ago. They used to sell off the shelf linear supplies but no more.

From the above I assume the D30 uses 5v supply( at what current?) Linear supplies at that voltage will be available, probably Ebay is ones best bet initially.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Chris.

From memory I think the D30 is 15v so not quite as many options but ifi do a 15v version should you choose to go that route.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    From memory I think the D30 is 15v so not quite as many options but ifi do a 15v version should you choose to go that route.
    Yes, you're quite correct it is a 15volt supply, the generic supply is 1 amp the Ifi is 1.2 amp so a touch more headroom, should be worth a punt I think.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Yes, you're quite correct it is a 15volt supply, the generic supply is 1 amp the Ifi is 1.2 amp so a touch more headroom, should be worth a punt I think.

Sounds good, yes slight overspeccing on the amperage is no bad thing, it'll only draw what it needs. I actually just sold a D30 and it doesn't give up much in quality to more expensive stuff up to say £130.... The E30 with ifi supply is a notable improvement so I'd be interested to hear what you think of the D30 with the same supply.

Happy listening!

I'm steve.

Well I decided to take the plunge and ordered an Ifi Low Noise 15v/1.2 Amp SMPSU from Amazon safe in the knowledge that if it didn't live up to expectations I could always send it back within 30 days.
    Just thought I'd elaborate on the setup first, it's my second string system in the bedroom, source is itunes on an iMac playing Apple Lossless files into the Topping D30 via optical, amp is a Cambridge CXA60, speakers are Frugelhorn Lites with the Mark Audio Alpair 5.3 full range drivers, I also stream Tidal with an Arylic S10 streamer.
    Main reason for trying the Ifi is that although the D30 was an improvement on the Cambridge's built in DAC the sound had a degree of upper midrange glare and harshness which was absent when listening to music via the Arylic.
    Anyhow the Ifi arrived earlier today and I've had about an hour or so to audition to hopefully get the upper mid harshness kicked into touch. Well I can report that it has had the desired effect, glare and harshness is now a thing of the past........ BUT.......... so much more !!
    The soundstage has grown and the sound has taken on a smoother and more effortless quality, just so much more listenable and unfatiguing, I'm not sure if it's my imagination but the bass appears tighter and more weighty as well, certainly a lot of positives and so far nothing negative. Needless to say I won't be sending the Ifi back. With the success of the Ifi with the D30 it makes me wonder if the Arylic S10 would benefit from the same upgrade (5v of course)

I'm Adam.

Great news that the Ifi SMPSU has delivered more than you were expecting Steve.

I use an Allo Shanti on my Bluesound Node 2 and an Allo Nirvana on my Topping E30 DAC.

I bought the Allo Shanti last summer and I was really pleased with what it did to my main system I can identify with all of the words you have used to describe the impact of the Ifi on your D30.

Since Christmas and the lockdown I have got back into my headphone listening and that is why I bought the E30 and Allo Nirvana. The improvement over listening to it when powered by a USB phone charger was big again, but I do not think that it was in the same league as the Shanti (the Shanti is more expensive though).

One thing I should try to do is compare the Shanti and Nirvana in my main system, that would be interesting.

I'm Chris.

Great outcome Steve, definitely a nothing ventured nothing gained attitude that I commend!

Like I say the results with my E30 and ifi supply were also very favorable. Highly recommended.

+ Reply to Thread