+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radford/Tannoy

I'm Stuart.

Default Radford/Tannoy

Question for the more experienced Tannoy / Radford users

I’ve got my eye on that nice Radford STA25 mk3 in the classifieds and wondering if it would be a good match for my HPD 385s
    Has it got enough of what it takes to control and drive these tannoys ?

The HPDs are in Lockwood Major cabinets and the room can either be in the larger lounge (8x6m) or my usual dedicated listening space (5x4) , whichever sounds best

Would be great if you could share your experiences, to save me making a expensive mistake (again)

I'm Edward.

I have 15 inch HPDs (Berkeley) and a MK V Radford Revival STA25.

Heaven.Match.Made.

It has all you may want. Detail, grip, depth but above all sheer musical enjoyment.

I'd say both of your rooms will be filled just fine. Plug some sensible values into the following calculator to confirm.

https://www.extron.com/calculators/a...wer/?tab=tools
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Stuart.

Thanks Edward , that’s very reassuring

Just came across your Berkeley Refurb thread when I was trawling through old posts looking for opinions on my current dilemma , Great job you’ve done there
    Looks like I’ll be calling Paul @RFC when funds allow to give my Xovers a refurb

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Slammed56 View Post
    Question for the more experienced Tannoy / Radford users

I’ve got my eye on that nice Radford STA25 mk3 in the classifieds and wondering if it would be a good match for my HPD 385s
    Has it got enough of what it takes to control and drive these tannoys ?

The HPDs are in Lockwood Major cabinets and the room can either be in the larger lounge (8x6m) or my usual dedicated listening space (5x4) , whichever sounds best

Would be great if you could share your experiences, to save me making a expensive mistake (again)
    Hi, I tried many STA25s including the one in the classifieds I worked on on my Tannoy Canterbury SEs 15ins which are harder to drive than the HPD 385s and they drove them beautifully with plenty of real world grunt. I made the comment that that would have done the job almost as well as the Leben CS 1000 I had bought to do the job. My room is about 5 x 12m and unless you like metal at stadium volume I'd look no further
    David

I'm Mike.

Anytime I’ve read about Tannoys and Radfords it has always been positive. Tom (Montesquieu) certainly rated them with Tannoys.

I use a Primaluna amp and the only one I would swap it for if I was forced to would be a Radford.

Mind you my Denon PMA850 sounds pretty decent with my Tannoys too. Buy the Radford, like it, keep it, don’t like it, sell it on at no loss.

I'm Alex.

Had my STA25 Mk3 for around 40 years, works very nicely with HPD315's, also previously, worked nicely with 12" Silvers.
    Spendorman

I'm Andrew.

Yep I'm another Tannoy / Radford user, no complaints here.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stuart.

This is just what I was wanting to hear guys....I really wasn’t 100% sure if the STA25 would be enough for these big buggers , thanks for taking the time to help me out

+ Reply to Thread