+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Room measuring

I'm Steve.

Can't see the first graphic. Shows broken link for some reason.

1/12 octave is pretty fine res.
    Try 1/6 or even 1/3.
    At 1/3 you are looking for +/-5dB across the rev range, as a good benchmark.
    Even a -5dB plot can't really be heard as missing amplitude as you go down say, a walking bass line.

Bass room modes are pretty sensitive to distance from the drivers.
    I can have bass boom a few feet in from the chair, and suck out in the chair!
    Try to get a proper length cable, and re-measure.

I've always found with DSP room correction, less is much more.

Better to put up curtains, have thicker rug, books on shelf, even partition a wall etc etc rather than start cutting above 150Hz, or heaven forbid adding amplitude.

'Measures flat, sounds pants', is one of my mantras
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    Can't see the first graphic. Shows broken link for some reason.

1/12 octave is pretty fine res.
    Try 1/6 or even 1/3.
    At 1/3 you are looking for +/-5dB across the rev range, as a good benchmark.
    Even a -5dB plot can't really be heard as missing amplitude as you go down say, a walking bass line.

Bass room modes are pretty sensitive to distance from the drivers.
    I can have bass boom a few feet in from the chair, and suck out in the chair!
    Try to get a proper length cable, and re-measure.

I've always found with DSP room correction, less is much more.

Better to put up curtains, have thicker rug, books on shelf, even partition a wall etc etc rather than start cutting above 150Hz, or heaven forbid adding amplitude.

'Measures flat, sounds pants', is one of my mantras
    Oh really, i can see it but maybe it's just me that can for some reason? Let me try again. Yes i'm using 1/12 atm but will try your other suggestions. I think my mic is where my bass dips a bit. In my seated position, i can definitely here more bass. I have ordered a longer cable. Should be here tommorow.

Have no plans to start using eq above 150Hz, if i do use any, it will be bass duties only!

Sorry, so can you see any graphics at all? I've only posted one so far.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Steve.

I can see the plot.
    There's a broken link image before that, perhaps it's not of anything.

Sounds like you are on the right track.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Ian.

Rew has a forecast tab that lets you dial in room dimensions and speaker poditions, then generates a forecast of response. Its pretty accurate. U would look at that first, see if moving the subs helps. Next i would try playing with subwoofer phase and crossover level. Go for some big wild changes. Like no subwoofers, 180 degree phase changes try to get able to get a mcheta feel for what effect different changes give. I think you will be able to get a better response before you start to eq

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Rew has a forecast tab that lets you dial in room dimensions and speaker poditions, then generates a forecast of response. Its pretty accurate. U would look at that first, see if moving the subs helps. Next i would try playing with subwoofer phase and crossover level. Go for some big wild changes. Like no subwoofers, 180 degree phase changes try to get able to get a mcheta feel for what effect different changes give. I think you will be able to get a better response before you start to eq
    Yes I did see the room simulator but have not used it so far. I can only really move one sub due to layout of the room. Not had a chance to do any more readings but do now have a longer cable. Will try your suggestions sometime next week/weekend or when I get the chance.I'm hoping I can make some difference before thinking of eq'ing.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Have no plans to start using eq above 150Hz, if i do use any, it will be bass duties only!
    Do you still plan to pass the signals above 150Hz through the processor even though you wont be making changes there?
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Do you still plan to pass the signals above 150Hz through the processor even though you wont be making changes there?
    Well I don't have a processor atm but if I do get one, I don't think I would pass signals above 150Hz. Maybe would temporarily just to see how it would affect frequency's above that.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Steve.

I wouldn't use room correction passing the signal though for just room correction!

The benefits of DSP crossovers, steep slopes on the bass channels, no Zobels, no huge inductors and capacitors, no Lpads to volume equal between different drivers and to be able choose between, Linkwitz-Reily, Bessel and Butterworth and choose 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 6th and 8th order steepness , the ability to time align fully etc makes DSP absolutely the right choice for multi way systems.
    Passive components to the level required suck dynamics.
    Room correction on the deep bass is essential icing on the DSP cake

The level of integration and transparency DSP can offer has to be heard to be believed.
    Not necessary for a regular 2 or 3 way passive radiating speaker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Magna Audio View Post
    I wouldn't use room correction passing the signal though for just room correction!

The benefits of DSP crossovers, steep slopes on the bass channels, no Zobels, no huge inductors and capacitors, no Lpads to volume equal between different drivers and to be able choose between, Linkwitz-Reily, Bessel and Butterworth and choose 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 6th and 8th order steepness , the ability to time align fully etc makes DSP absolutely the right choice for multi way systems.
    Passive components to the level required suck dynamics.
    Room correction on the deep bass is essential icing on the DSP cake

The level of integration and transparency DSP can offer has to be heard to be believed.
    Not necessary for a regular 2 or 3 way passive radiating speaker though.
    I don't know what half of those words mean

Maybe i should just buy a DSP processor and see what all the fuss is about! In fact it's not long till my birthday and the missus needs help in choosing a present. Which processor would you recommend?

Got today off, so iv'e taken another measurement but this time i've moved my speakers a bit and have started with the X-Over at 120Hz. Will take two more at 80Hz and 50Hz. Then will move one sub opposite it's current position and repeat.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next to measurements.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the overlayed image of the 3 readings.

[IMG][/IMG]

So it looks like i should be possibly using the the 50Hz or below for my crossover? Would that be anyone else's reading of that?
    Last edited by kininigin; 23-02-2021 at 12:45.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Ian.

My gut reaction is the sub phase needs to invert, but you might just have big null, winding up the sub gain and cutting the lower end might work if your power amps are good.

Personally i would look at sweeps with the subs out then the speakers out and see what they looked like before moving on. With manual eq i found it really helps if one has base infornation on each speaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast