+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Croft preamp and cd vaiable volume control

I'm Martin.

I'd guess setting the Oppo to max output from min output gives an increase in dynamic range aka 'bit depth' - higher signal to noise ratio, hence more audible detail and so forth.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    PS Brian its;; Settings, edit profle or my profile, about me.. either/both.
    Thanks buddy
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd guess setting the Oppo to max output from min output gives an increase in dynamic range aka 'bit depth' - higher signal to noise ratio, hence more audible detail and so forth.
    But he said he's using the volume so it's not max output. Could be full volume was overloading the pre and it sounds better this way. Have heard about that with a few DACs.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    But he said he's using the volume so it's not max output. Could be full volume was overloading the pre and it sounds better this way. Have heard about that with a few DACs.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    We don't know what volume the Oppo was set to before though. If it was set at full output previously and clipping the pre-amp, which as you say can happen, it would have sounded pretty poor.

Assuming it doesn't clip the pre-amp the optimal thing to do is have the Oppo at full output and adjust volume on the pre-amp. That way you know you are getting the full dynamic range. But then that means no remote control of volume.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Thanks buddy
    or you can add them as a sig, like you did
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

[QUOTE=brian2957;1252652]There you go David

Cheers Brian, I'll take the time to look through this over the next couple of days.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm David.

You've got it Lawrence. Croft Pre fixed at 7 O'Clock, and Oppo CD volume anywhere between 15 and 75, which rocked the Kasbah
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We don't know what volume the Oppo was set to before though. If it was set at full output previously and clipping the pre-amp, which as you say can happen, it would have sounded pretty poor.

Assuming it doesn't clip the pre-amp the optimal thing to do is have the Oppo at full output and adjust volume on the pre-amp. That way you know you are getting the full dynamic range. But then that means no remote control of volume.
    To clarify, I didn't know about this function before yesterday so wasn't aware but the Oppo output volume was fixed at 100%.
    Don't get me wrong, it was sounding fine before. I just wanted to be able to control volume by remote. I wasn't chasing improvement.

I'm Brian.

which rocked the Kasbah

Hahaha...love it David

Gary ( gazjam ) is the man for Oppo mods .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    To clarify, I didn't know about this function before yesterday so wasn't aware but the Oppo output volume was fixed at 100%.
    Don't get me wrong, it was sounding fine before. I just wanted to be able to control volume by remote. I wasn't chasing improvement.
    Right I'm with you now.

Lots of Oppo 95 mods here http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_95_mods.html
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast