+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Streamer update - can I use Windows Enterprise ?

I'm Ian.

Default Streamer update - can I use Windows Enterprise ?

Ive run my CAPS 3 streamer ( Computer Audiophile Forum Design) for some 7 or so years . I want to upgrade it to take advantage of todays technology and need advice
    Modified over the years, the Streamer uses an intel DN2800 mini ITX board running Windows 10 and JRiver in DLNA mode feeding a Renderer which sends SPDIF to my DAC .My music is stored on a separate SSD using USB 3 connection to the Intel board. Its powered with a Linear 12v supply for the Intel and 5v for the music SSD.

I have searched for a few days now and homing in on a LattePanda Single Board Computer. The board Im looking at is the DFR0470 -ENT which comes pre loaded with “Windows10 Enterprise LTSB activate manual”

https://uk.farnell.com/Search?storeI...&st=LattePanda

Ive heard of windows enterprise but always understood is was for use in industry.

Am I safe to use Enterprise or are there any pitfalls for the home user ?

If I progress this Ill do a complete build report in the Drawing Board thread.
    Ian
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Mike.

Only if the Dilithium Crystals are installed properly

I'm Pavel.

Yes you are safe to use it, in fact it is arguably better than the regular Windows 10 because it does not include a lot of Microsoft's stupid bloatware and does not require mandatory updates that often break stuff. I use Windows 10 LTSB on my Windows laptop and it's grand.

I'm Ian.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Any reduction in Windows Bloatware must be good news. I initially used my streamer with a USB card and did purchase a software package ( called Fidelizer I think.) which claimed to improve the "audio quality" of the streamer. A form of debloater It actually worked but didnt like Windows updates so I had to stop using it.
    There is a website called "Chris Titus Tech" where you can get his debloaters free. They are scripts ( hope Ive got the right name ) you download and paste into the Command Prompt, editing what you want to use then running it. It Works - and can be reloaded if a windows upgrade resets anything.
    I ve found two suppliers offering boards loaded with Enterprise LTSB so ill press on trying to finalise the hardware Ill go for.
    Its a bit of a minefield and stock levels seem low.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Alex.

I use Win 10 LTSC (successor to LTSB) on my desktop, excellent operating system. Also loaded is Shutup10 and the debloater mentioned above.
    Spendorman

I'm Ian.

Ive been plodding on and going cold on LattePanda from comment on their forum re the problems some are having. The current demand during boot up seems to exceed the current rating of the USB C socket they use as a power in. Some mention peak currents of over 4A. There is also the additional processor which I dont need. Looking at an Intel NUCBKNUC8 CCHKR.
    However spent more time yesterday continuing the Windows 10 debloater excercise. Disabled Cortana, Uninstalled One Drive, (so close to Enterprise ?) disabled Telemetry/Tasks and many more, some I dont understand but audio SQ is improving. Before moving further Im going to replace the power supplies on my BT router and Cisco switch. Ill have Linear stabilised units made by the end of the week so I know my LAN is devoid of any Wall wart SMPS nasties.
    How to kill time in Lockdown !

I'm Grant.

If you go into start up and disable anything not needed to start, that will help a lot with speed and audio. Make sure you use wasapi or asio etc. If using 64 bit pc then use appropriate software.. Roon is probably the best. Not cheap but it works well. Needs a fastish 64 bit pc tho. Ssd for software. Hdd is fine for music. Can make most things an end point too. Jriver is a great cheaper option and worth having to use as backup and for tipping etc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Decision made have opted for an Intel NUC. Intel NUCBKNUC8 CCHKR £175 + post has been ordered
    Linear PSUs for my LAN are on soak test and will be fitted while my existing router is in circuit so I may evaluate before making any changes to my existing system.

Last I looked at Roon it was expensive and the lifetime licence not a bargain at my age!- though they didnt say whether the lifetime related to mine or theirs.

I'm Ian.

To finalise.
    The NUC streamer is now up and running.. W10 with JRiver running in DNLA to my DIY renderers
    My music is held on an M2 2280 SSD card within the NUC, this change from my external SSD was made due to the considerable power saving.
    To get the NUC to perform to the standard I expected it was an absolute must to use a regulated Linear supply. The NUC has an input power V range of 19 to 12.v I am running at 12.2v
    The supplied SMPS from intel runs at 19v, one must ask why the excess 7 volts ? to my mind its just wasted power which can only be lost as heat. I dont yet know the true current requirement of the NUC as it will depend on how one wants to use the USB ports my supply is capable of 4A but on the basis that one will not want to connect any USB power consumers I feel the final supply design will supply 3A which will allow me to make it a little smaller.
    I now have linear supplies on my Plusnet router, and Netgear switchers on my LAN so no nasty SMPS spike being introduced. Im very happy with the sonics of my streaming system
    Some have asked about the renderers I built. The boards came from https://www.engineered.ch/products/
    The actual boads I used have now been superceded but their replacements are very similar.

+ Reply to Thread